View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 04:57 PM

crueby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat 340D Excavator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Wow; That Marion Type 91 is very nice! I would like to see it in person someday.
Any build pictures?

I did a full build log over on the Model Engine Maker site:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...ic,7530.0.html

There will be an article series with full plans of the build starting around the end of 2020 in Live Steam/Outdoor Railroading magazine. It will be a long series, for a model like that - 4 double-acting steam engines, gear trains, winding drums, boiler, frame...

The shovel is sitting outside the quarry it worked in from 1906 to 1949 in Leroy NY, on Gulf Road. It is fenced off, so you can only get within about 20 feet of it (I worked with the historical society to get full access to get in and photograph and measure it a number of times to draw up the plans for it). It is the last remaining Model 91 - if you search for it online you will likely see references to it being used on the Panama Canal. NOT true, this one was working in the quarry here before the canal was started, and I've been able to account for where all the ones at the canal went later on. Its in remarkable shape considering that its been sitting out in the open for so many decades, the wood spacer blocks in the boom are half gone but the rest is there, aside from small parts that have been stolen. It was originally on railroad trucks, in 1923 it was converted to crawler tracks using Marions 'kit'. About 75 feet long, over 100 tons, it dug limestone in the quarry for use in railroad beds, roads, and dams.