Thread: Steamer
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Steamer

Well here's the latest on the cylinders. First picture has one cylinder in pieces and one together. First big problem I had was I was trying to hold too close a tolerance on the rod guide bushing and this caused them to bind up.

So I took everything apart and polished the piston rods down another 2 thou and they seemed to work better but still hung up coming back down. Should say these are single acting so are supposed to fall when the pumps are reversed and remove the oil.

What I think is happening is the oil is creating suction when the pistons bottom out in the bores as there's no way for the trapped air and oil to escape.

So I think the next job will be to drill an #80 drill out through the end of the first stage guide bushing and the end of the second stage guide rod. It's a long shot and I'm hoping that it will break the vacuum to stop the hangups.

One thing I must say is that there is no lack of lift with those small wedico pumps. With the large bore of 3/4" and the small one at 3/8" it will lift a 11 kilo bag of lead up like crazy. Even tried the bag out on the rock lid and it didn't change at all. From box down to full up about 10 seconds.
Thanks for looking
Rob