View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Something new to rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Hi Joe, when you are planting your fields using GPS how do you program it to know where the rows end etc? Do you make a manual run around the perimeter? Sorry for all the questions, I've had friends and family who've owned farms so I've grown up visiting them. But they weren't as large as yours. Thanks for posting this is interesting reading!
Yes, I manually steer the perimeter & set my A & B line. And I manually turn around at the headlands & around other obstacles within the field, like sloughs, rock piles, power poles, ect. The GPS autosteer holds a straight line for no overlap... it doesn't drive any programmed course around the field, you still have to be alert where you are & where you're going so you don't run into stuff.

Earlier in the week, somebody smoked a power pole & brought it down north of town... dicking around on their phone or sleeping... seems to happen nearly every yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTech9 View Post
It looks like you have a big pond Joe! How many acres of water do you think that is?
I don't know... it stretches about a mile in length & varies between 1/4 & 1/2 mile wide. The deepest point might be 7 or 8 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
Galvanized tanks! lol Joe get with the 1960's
My dad bought that tank back in the 80's & would haul it in the back of a 3-ton grain trk, back in the day when sprayers were manually unfolded/folded, haul water & chemical to the field was much easier than winging up to come home & do it.

I made use of the old galvanized tank the last 5yrs, but it's unusable now. If this body of water ever disappears & I have to go back to well water, I'll get a black wall plastic tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadieman View Post
That seems like a good amount of water. Time to throw in a few trouts.

Is it my understanding that wheat doesn't grow well in wet soil?
This water body only accumulates from spring runoff, there's no creek or spring adding to it. A couple of dry yrs & it will be empty again.

Wheat grows better in wet soil than dry... everything does! Untimely rains can have dramatic effects on quality & disease. Last yr was 17 inches rainfall & I had a fantastic hard red spring wheat crop in both yield & quality. But my amber durum wheat just exploded in yield & the quality was poor... durum is a very temperamental crop that takes almost perfect weather to get both quality & yield from... I haven't grown much durum in the last 4 yrs b/c it's been wetter than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH429 View Post
Thats beautiful country.
Yes it is Jason... and the best part is there's very few ppl around.

It rain @6am & again @7:30am this morning, a bit of water laying about... chances of rain again this afternoon, I might be sitting all day. I got started seeding brown mustard yesterday, got Big Red stuck! I had to pull the pin & then using 70 feet of tow strap & chain to pull the drill from various angles to get it out... I had to roadgear my tires twice to clean the mud from them... this is one of the hardest pulls I've ever had, it was a bit worrysome, I was out within the hr, rehooked & seeding again.

Where I'm seeding now is so flat & gumbo clay, it's hard to tell where the mud might be until I'm in it! That gumbo is like snott, so sticky & slippery. The surface will look dry, then all the sudden the crust lets go & SURPRISE! you're ****ed!!! Being there with the sprayer the day before, I can usually feel out those spots & flying at 22mph, I'll blast through it without sinking much. But it's 100' booms & a lot area each pass I don't drive on.

I made up a sprayer vid a couple days ago, I tried to load it last night, but it stopped at 80%, it must be too big. I gotta re-do the edit or make it a 2 part.

Joe