View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 04:50 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

My 4:1 RC4WD gear reduction showed up so I got it hooked up with the Lesu trans and the HH 80t motor. I was pleased to see how short the overall length of the GRU is, but was surprised to see so few gears inside. My biggest concern right now is if the gearing in the GRU and the trans hold up.

The front mounting hole on the frame rail was re-used, but the rear hole has to be drilled/tapped. Note that I'll lose the upper step mount, but I don't really care. It's not like it's gotta support the weight of a scale 350 lb. truck driver!

I had mentioned earlier that I'd like a bit of a gap between the rear tires so I made up a little styrene spacer to sandwich between the rear wheels. It's about 1.5mm thick. It's ugly, but is only for prototype purposes.

Here you can see the gap created by the spacer on the far wheel set. The near wheel set is stock Lesu wheels.

Ages ago I modified a set of front wheels to get them to tuck in farther. That was on the Lesu wheels I originally tried. These fronts are made by Hercules Hobby and they have quite a bit more backspacing so they tuck in better. However, I still have to run a 6mm hex for them. If I run a 4mm hex you can see the hub bottoms out against the knuckles. Also note I put some aluminum TLT knuckles on.

The issue with a 4mm hex on these wheels.

So I drop a pair of thick washers inside...

Then out comes the Dremel! I rest the cutter flush to the washers and slowly cut through the hub. Be careful here. It's super easy to get hurt if you don't take the right precautions!

And the deed is done.

Now I have great clearance even with thin 4mm hexes!

Now the fronts tuck in really nicely. They're not fully tucked, of course, but this is the look I was after.

The other side still running 6mm hexes.