View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 03:59 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bruder Piggyback Forklift

UPDATE

The forklift has worked well since I posted this build. There were a couple of issues though that I felt needed to be addressed. First, when I put this together I felt that I should have both the forward / reverse travel and the steering on the left stick leaving the right stick solely for up/down mast movement. This hasn't really worked out. At very slow travel speeds while trying to line the forks up with the intended load it was very difficult to not accidently knock the steering too far one way or another. So I decided I would be better off moving the steering over to the right hand stick. Not a big deal, just have to open up the body and swap a servo lead from one channel on the receiver to another. I wasn't really wanting to open this model up just for this though as it is a bit tricky getting everything lined back up to get it back together. But if I was going to open up the model I may as well try and take care of the second issue also.

The second Issue, as I noted above in the original build articles, is that this forklift is very light and simply cannot lift a heavy load without tipping over. That's fine, I realized this from the beginning and only wanted to to be able to lift a scale pallet with four oil drums as the heaviest load it would have to handle. But even as light weight as this load was, when the lift mast was in it's full forward position it would take enough weight off the rear drive wheel that it often could not get enough traction to move the forklift depending on the surface. Really needed to add some weight to the back of this model. I had earlier added some lead shot to the inside of the Bruder rear tire but it just wasn't enough extra weight. So I started looking for some additional weight that I could add into the available space. If you look back at the earlier photos you can see there just isn't much room left inside. So the weight needed to be heavy for it's size and thin. What I finally came up with was a self-adhesive lead tape that golfers use to add weight to the heads of their clubs. I'm not a golfer so I didn't know this stuff existed. It's great for this purpose as it's only about a 1/16th of an inch thick, very pliable and easy to cut to any shape needed.

Attached are a few photos showing where I put the lead tape in the rear of the forklift. Basically a piece was attached to most every open flat space that could be easily reached. On the tape mounted behind the receiver I did also put some electrical tape over it as the servo pins on the receiver I used are exposed on the rear and I didn't want to risk a possible short circuit sometime down the road. On the right rear side there isn't a lot of space so I put two layers of the lead tape there. I didn't weigh the tape so I don't know exactly how much weight I added but It was enough that the drive wheel now stays firmly in contact with the ground with the loads that I use. I also now have much better control of driving and steering. I took the forklift to the Indianapolis meet in April and it performed very well.

Underside of top half of model:
[img}{/img}

Bottom left showing tape installed behind receiver:
[img}[/img}

Bottom right side:
[img}[/img}