View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGER View Post
Holy ..........those steps are out of this world!! Watching eagerly.
Thanks Swagger. The tool boxes are coming along nicely. I'm a bit surprised at how well they are turning out, actually. I had a vision in my head and it's becoming a reality. I am really getting into this machining!

So, a small update. I've been finding the time before work each day to do a little more on the boxes. The last two days I've been working on the steps, which will bolt up to the tool boxes. The side members are all done! It was a tedious process to machine such small parts. I did run with the 0-80 screws, which seem about perfect for the task of holding things together. I'm glad I didn't go smaller. I think these are the smallest I would want to try and use for a build like this. They are so tiny! Drilling and tapping went without a hitch. I also milled the side members and gave them the proper angle on their face, to match the 1:1 boxes. These little buggers are really taking the time to make. I think I have 15 hours of work in them.

Pictures of the last couple days of work.

I think I'm on a machining high right now! Still more to do. I need to make the tool box doors themselves, and drill and tap a few more holes to bolt the steps to the boxes. Also, the top tread plate is still not bolted down either. This should be a simple job, after accomplishing today's work.

Last edited by Espeefan; 03-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.