View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguyfarms View Post
Nice work and attention to detail.
Thanks Scott. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
great job nate "I think I'm on a machining high right now!" It doesn't take long does it
No, Steve, really all it takes is to have some success with the things a guy wants to machine, and when they turn out good, it makes a guy feel good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmasters View Post
Those steps look outstanding. Why not countersink the screws though?
Thanks Archie. Yeah, I'm on the fence about counter sinking the screws. I really wanted to do it, but the material is quite thin at the edge. Only about .0625" room there, and the flat heads I wanted to use would have hung over the edge, which is no good. I can still counter sink the heads of these socket head screws, but there will be .007" or so meat left, which isn't much. Not sure if I'll do it. I want to polish the parts, and a .007" lip would probably tear out on me, ruining the part. I could counter sink the holes after polishing though. We'll see. The real steps have bolts or rivets that show as well, although they are not quite as pronounced. Sometimes you have to compromise. I still think the steps look good. Once on the truck, the screws might be less noticable and I wouldn't have to worry about it. The heads look bigger right now because there is nothing else to compare them too. The small 2mm screws used everywhere else on the chassis are huge compared to these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
WOW! Very nice for sure.. Probie on the real ones some brands have alum rivets in the areas that he has the screws.. I like the look it is a nice touch..
Thanks Paul. I'm kind of liking the screws too, but I'll make a decision once these are done and on the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Turned out real nice Nathan, those screws look good!
Thanks Kent. Almost finished with these things. Then it's onto the the next set of parts. Some nicer fuel tank saddles, if I am capable!