View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Volvo FH12 Flatbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassgrunt View Post
I have had a lot of luck using Easy Off (in the yellow can) for stripping paint and chrome. I haven't tried it on Tamiya synthetic lacquer paint, but if all else fails; give it a try.

I like what you're doing with the truck. I attempted to make an FH12 by building a flat top for the cab and cutting 1/2" out below the windscreen to lower the cab height - but it just got flimsy and wouldn't fair in very well. I gave up and trashed it. I hope that you have a lot more success with yours than I did!
Thanks sassgrunt! I might just be trying oven cleaner! I like the look of a flat-top Volvo, too. I might try to squish the roof piece on the cab down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I use a mixture of alcohol and acetone about 50/50 for paint removal.
I found that alcohol on its own took ages and acetone on its own would melt the plastic, mix the 2 together and it works a treat!
Keep up the good work.
Stu
Thanks Stu! I was thinking about %50 thinner %50 water, but I'll try that first! I'll let you guys know the results!