View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 11:39 AM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Michigan T-24 project

I worked on the cable drums and boom this week...I built a drum assembly like Frizzen and RVJim and it went in with out a hitch.... sort of ...

Both of those builds used a large diameter slew gear that put the slew motor further off to one side so it didn't interfere with the drums.... I used the Huina 1550 slew gear that is way smaller and it put my slew motor in way closer, actually the only place I could put it was dead center under the drums.
This didn't leave any room for the lower front drum I tried grinding and sanding the motor case down but couldn't get enough clearance. Then I tried moving the lower drum up but as it goes up it also moves back so the clearance got worse. I even tried making the drum smaller but it just wouldn't clear. So I figured I would move it forward and down... I printed some plastic angle the same dimension as the aluminum I'm using so I could cut/drill/tap it so I didn't waste my aluminum and it's way quicker to cut...Once I got the postion right then I cut my aluminum and mounted everything

So moving it down and forward got me enough clearance for the lower drum but if I left all three together the top drum was way to far down and forward so I had to split them up

I put a bar across the bottom to help stiffen the whole thing up

Then made a new mount for the top drum so it would sit where I wanted it to for my boom hoist.

So once I had the drums mounted I cut my hole for the boom cable and made the support brackets for my pulley assembly. You can see the slew motor in the center. I'll have to cut the front lip of the cable house down a little so the cable can feed out when it has a dragline bucket on it.
I'm planning on an 8 part line to a pulley block then just single cables on either side out to the boom tip.