View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 10:31 AM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Michigan T-24 project

Well now that holidays are over and I'm getting back into finishing this project up.
I needed to get the boom cleaned up, the pins were really sloppy and I wanted a dual sheave in it. The pins in the boom are about 3.7 mm so I drilled out the two boom pins in the middle, the pin in the boom tip and the one in the base to 4mm and made pins for them so now it was nice and solid.
For the boom tip I made some spacers. They wont have a torque or pressure on them so I just took some plastic sheet (1mm I think) and drilled 2 4mm holes in it and simply cut them out then cleaned them up a little, they won't be seen so no need to get to crazy whit them

Then I laid out the rest of the pieces I put some flanged bearings in the PLA+ sheaves. Then I used some 18ga wire ends for the 2 main cables running back down the boom... I spread the wire ends open enough to get the Kevlar string in them then soaked them in super glue and closed them up then gave them another soaking then trimmed them up. They are rock hard and no way will they pull thru.

I gave the boom a quick coat of blue paint and did the tip in Chrome yellow

This was before I cut the pins for it.

I got these at Hobby Lobby to connect to my cable block

And these for the cable loops.

These were to soft to hold under any stress so I just put a little dab of solder on each one.
So now were getting ready to string this thing up.... I made a riser for the 4 cable pulleys that's just a little taller the the stock toy .

Looking down the boom ..

and another shot..

I'll get some more pictures in a little bit... But everything on the crane works I just need to get a dragline bucket put together ( have all the parts I need) and I want to get a clam shell bucket working...just need to get the mechanics worked out..I've been studying what you guys have built....Then I need to get the lights and some other small details made and put in....