View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 09:46 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish 3D printed DOT "Construction Ahead" sign display

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
A nice little project! Adds scale realism
Thanks. "Little" is of course relative as relates to the word "project" , but yeah, good fun. Plunk down some of the many traffic cones

and I'm good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaltosVT View Post
Nice!

I keep thinking about making one of these, but I only have a resin 3D printer, and I'm afraid the results will be too brittle for use. I've mulled over making the trailer out of metal instead, but haven't seriously looked into it.
'Sfunny, I keep thinking I should look at resin printers =)) No idea why other than it's something new, must be interesting. ABS certainly isn't brittle, but it can be a pain to work, especially when your printer gives you grief. Many of the parts, if you look closely, are wonky in various ways, but not quite enough that I can justify redoing the whole bloody thing.

As for metal, I could weld up a 1:1 like that in a snap, but my welding-brazing skills at small scale ... no. No way. Welding is an art, and I'm only enough of a hack to do it at full size.

Either way, I dig that the Arduinos (or even the R-Pi's, not my thing but some people love 'em) are so cheap/commonplace/well-supported, that we can add this level of realism easily. I actually looked into doing Bluetooth or WiFi, but BT turned into a whole thing to make work with iOS, and adding the height of another shield made the display box kinda clunky. This is simple, and simple is good. The box end comes off with just the two screws if I want to reprogram it, USB plug is right there, bada bing bada boom. I can have the sign say "I AM THE GREAT ONE-EYED BALL OF APPEALER" if I wanted =))

-- A

Last edited by dremu; 06-22-2021 at 09:49 PM.