View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 12:41 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish 3D printed DOT "Construction Ahead" sign display

Stuck in traffic the other day, saw one of these signs on the road, and then cones dropped at the sidewalk with bars across them to block foot traffic. Another "How hard can it be?" moment ... hmm, it's just a cylinder and two toruses (torusses? torii? Whatever the mathematical term is for a donut!)

Making it in two colors required a bit of jiggling in the design, but not bad.

The one thing that bummed me out is that the real ones are collapsible, telescoping, and I don't think the scale would permit enough strength to do it in plastic. I could have used brass tube, but then the paint would get scratched off, plus trying to match paint to the plastic on the ends, ugh. But with the printer it's easy enough to do up different lengths and, once the thing is set up, hit "print another copy", so I have a coupla sizes.

I was lucky this time as the white and orange are both the same brand of filament, so the machine settings held nicely. You'll note the shade of orange is a bit different from that of the cone, which was a different brand. Fiddly business is printing, and a bit of dark magic... but great fun when it works out.

-- A

Last edited by dremu; 09-02-2021 at 12:52 PM.