View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 06:26 PM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Diecast Masters 49X upgrade

It is a nice looking truck...it just had some issues....nothing all that hard to fix....
Ok the ESCs are in and the servo is fitted but it's to short there are a lot of different ways to fix this but I decided I'd try making a servo horn in tinker cad and printing it....and here is what I came up with..it sticks out far enough to engage the steering arm ( or whatever you call this piece)

I needed the slot because the steering arm moves around as it goes right and left...
Then I decided why not make a new steering arm...this way if this part wears out I can just print another.

Here are both pieces installed. they WORK... I was amazed...

So with my new found confidence I decided to make some new stub axles.The stock ones are pressed together with a rivet of some sort, there is no way to replace them if they wear and they are a wobbly fit...so I made these.

I cut up an old WPL axle that was in a plastic housing and made a m3x35mm stub axle this donar also gave me 4 nylon bushings ( the WPL bearings are the same size ) 3x5x2.5 so I can put actual bearing in it if I want... I cut the axle and tapped each end then JB welded a nut on one end. I made the fit tight so I had a good pressure fit.

Well now I have this set up...the stock wheels won't work...so....I hunted around on Thingiverse and found a wheel that "kinda" looked like the stock wheel and resized it and put some bearing recess in it front and back. This was my first attempt at making anything that required a precision fit...and it worked...These are just a quick test run to make sure it would work.
Front

Back

These use the stock tire, I let the bushings sit a little proud so the nylon would ride against the PLA these are far better than the stock pieces.....I also beefed up the piece so it fit snugly on the top and bottom mount so there is far less play but it still works smoothly.

I've also thought about using m3 threaded rod and making the tie rods so they are adjustable and may at some point but this first try I wanted to keep the stock looking stuff so you don't have to change anything on the truck to do these mods. I posted the STL files on Thingiverse if anybody wants them...