View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 12:17 PM

TylerDSAudi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to figure out motors and gear reductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Tom is correct and I'll try to add some more to this. Something I noticed on your shovel is, The hoist drum will need to be larger in diameter because the rope diameter you will be using has to have a minimum diameter it can flex around to keep it on when there's no tension and not damaging it if it wraps on top of another wrap because of too much crowding the dipper handle. There only needs to be enough rope on the drum for the dipper to make one complete cycle plus one or two extra wraps to keep the rope from pulling out of the clamp holding it on.
On shovels the hoist drum is tapered also. This taper speeds up the feet per minute through the hoist cycle because the circumference is constantly changing and gives more power where the most digging is taking place. Once you have the diameter figured out,figure out the gearing.
I agree the drum could have been bigger for sure, but its something I won't be able to change or I will have to rework most of the model. There is maybe a quarter of an inch from the drum ends and the motor side. Then there isn't room to move the drum/motor gear system further back either. I plan on making my rope tie in's on the ends and then hopefully, the rope will follow the grooves towards the center of the drum. I might just have to up the speed to overcome the smaller drum.

( Side note ) I know how big the drums are on these shovels and draglines in real life, one thing I'm going to make sure to do on my dragline build is to have big drums to take out the need of a lot of gearing.