View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KAT excavator - upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Looks awesome!! Wish I had the tools and know how to do that.

If you wouldn't mind, could you post or pm me the website you ordered that machine from. Would love to check it out myself. Thanks!
Hi, thanks) you will find the machine at www.buychina.com Search for 'excavator', show 'highest price', and it should turn up. There are 4 different variants; basic machine with or without cylinders ($8-900), complete machine with standard hydraulic and radio ($16-1700), and a machine with upgraded pump and some few minor things ($2500)
I would not consider the highest priced one at all, I feel it is not worth it, then it is better to go for the XL4200.

I have continued my KAT upgrade project and have concentrated at under carrige the last week.

- Have finished installing the extra support for track gear motors and have made the gear shaft / drive wheel connection a tighter fit. the drive gears now runs 'straight'...The fabricator could done it right at first, and saved me many hours of work.. Generally the undercarrige is of fine design. The tracks looks good, tracks are long, the drive and idler wheels are of solid steel; great.

- Started rebuilding the swivel. There is no 'slip ring' unit for the track motor's wires...mmm..It may work if to remember not to turn more than 2-3 turns in same direction, before heading the opposite direction.. Well, I have an slip ring laying around here, so I will install it. In the same 'operation' I will make the swivel / engine house connection firm, and also rise the 'swivel pipe' about 1 cm. I to feel the bottom plate of engine house to have a too small clearance to the tracks.
Actually I have moved the swivel bearing to just beneath the bottom plate, and added a 2 mm spacer ring in the connection. The original dia.90 mm plastic ring I have replaced by a longer ring, made of a modified 110 mm plastic pipe. The 'backbone' of the swivel unit is 6 off brass studs, threaded M5 in each end. What is missing is a new centre bracket for the gear, and slip ring. To be turned from a dia.40mm alu. bar.

I see now that there has been some transportation damage, as other has seen at their KAT's too. The base/bottom plate was bent, and also the cab has got a 'kick' sideways..I have an idea that the damage might can have happened in the fabrication shop..If so; not good..I would think there would been considerable damage to the cardboard box it it happened under transport from china too me..the box looks fine, just some smaller scratches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan 2014 maskin 033.jpg (93.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Jan 2014 maskin 034.jpg (92.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Jan 2014 maskin 035.jpg (90.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Jan 2014 maskin 036.jpg (88.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Jan 2014 maskin 037.jpg (84.5 KB, 144 views)