View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first Lipo incident.

No real concern for a lipo catching fire from being slowly depleted. As joe said 99.9% of lipo fires are caused by three main things

1). Damaged cell-sometimes you don't even know they are damaged by visual appearance.
2). Over charging-quickest way to create thermal runaway explosion in a lipo.
3). Over discharging beyond packs ability- basically demanding more output than the battery can manage.

Lipos are rather safe and a lot of misconceptions are out there. I would venture to say that all those incidents of people having a perfectly good battery blow up were actually having damaged cells but not realizing the damage. The swelling in a cell is from internal chemistry causing a gas to develop. And it's not really an explosion but a venting of gas, causing the runaway effect from a chemical reaction. They don't have any memory. They begin to degrade from the moment they are manufactured. No benefit of a lipo being cycled, actually will lesson the useful lifespan. Think of it like a lipo has a limited amount of cycles and if cycling them just because lack of use you are better off just making sure that are balanced and not a full charge for storage. They can be left a full charge for a week or so. There is absolute no proof from any manufacturer or creditable source that cycling a pack will promote better discharge curves. Except from the first few discharge cycles from new. That basically is just making sure the pack is functioning as designed. And every battery is different because the chemical reaction cannot really be quantified but rather a pretty accurate guess can be determined. That is one of the differences between more expensive packs that the manufacturer better matches the cells per pack. And another bit of info, our military is the ones to thank for most of the safe development that goes into lipo technology. Soon to be available to consumers the next generation of lipos, a battery can be skewered, cut, shot, severely damaged and still work (obliviously less than optimal and for a shorter duration) without creating excessive chemical reaction or thermal runaway. (Explosion/ fire).

And the potential for problems it's probably better to replace any damaged pack rather than put it to use. If I. Not mistaken an effective way to neutralize a lipo is in a bucket of saltwater. Or if you are still wanting to get your money's worth of enjoyment, target practice . I always find some creative way of really pissing off my damaged packs to the of suicide!! I'm not much for safety stuff but really should not breath much of the aftermath. .