Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Project

Got some more done on this, my goal is a 40s/50s era looking tractor and trailer. I kind of want to focus on building older looking machines (not exclusively but mostly) so we have this one.

Because of the first trailer I'm using I needed this truck to sit a little lower so I flip the axles to the top of the springs.. I think my next one instead of "U" channel I'll use "L" channel because I can't get my fingers inside the "U" channel to hold nuts and little bits and pieces. Anyway the body fits really well so far.

I had to open up the wheel wells because now the tires rub with it lowered, this is where I wish I had a way to use the Lego wheels they are about 4mm shorter and that's all I needed but this works and you can't really tell I opened them up. In this picture I still have the resin cast spacer bar, I have since ditched them and just taped a 3mm hole on the frame, this is where the "U" channel works better than the WPL pressed steel frame.
time to mount the steering servo

Pretty straight forward, I just notched a piece of "L" channel, drilled the mounting holes for the servo and then drilled and tapped two holes in the frame to the bracket. I had to tap the holes cause there was no way I was getting my fingers in there to hold a 3mm nut. in some places I super glued the nut to the inside of the frame so far they are holding.

When I flipped the axles to the top of the springs it created problems with my steering the tie rods and were catching on the springs so I cut those 2 little white spacers from some plastic tubing I had laying around ( I save any plastic tubes from packing or whatever cause you just never know) this dropped the tie rod down below the springs an dit all works pretty good now.
I need to find out what those black connectors on the servo are called so I can get some more of the really small ones my next build is going to need them. And since everything is literally coming on a VERY SLOW boat from china I try to plan two or three builds ahead.

Another view from the top you can see the new aluminum bar stock to replace the resin cast.

Here is the rear pretty straight forward I used the WPL rear bumper and frame spacer because it worked and was way easier than building something.

Now I need to work on the fifth wheel and get a motor and transfer case mounted...