View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nylint michigan crane conversion, hopefully

Since i posted a video on Reeving toy cranes, a guy was asking me some questions about the Unit Crane boom, and since it doesn't have a build thread of its own...

These doepke cranes have a 2 piece boom so it can fold upwards for transport.
Total Boom lenght cab pin to center of tip sheeves 18.5"
Base width at cab 2"
Width at breakover 1.5"
Height at breakover pins about 1.630" but didn't pull pins or rivets
Width at tip 1.550"
1 sheeve and guides inside tip, 1 sheeve outboard of tip each side
-
When i feel like yanking a boom extension off one of my Michigans, boom specs will go here

-
Also so that this isn't just worthless to constuction guys:
if you've got a craft type of store that does christmas decorations like tabletop 'christmas town' kinda stuff look for a Lemax #44755 ''lighted accessory". I found these at Menards, but i know other places carry Lemax christmas stuff

It's portable worksite lighting that gives 5 light heads that can independantly aim and mast telescopes 8_9/16" to 12_3/4". Runs off 3AA cells or can use their 4.5v wall-wart power system

If you're the 'warrany voiding' type like me, there's a glued in button that covers a screw to split the base apart. Electrically there's not much to mod, got a 23 ohm resistor (current limiter?), then each light head has a surface mount LED on a board. Each light head has a reflector, lens, retainer. I really want to bridge the base resistor for max light, but don't want to smoke it.

---

https://youtu.be/wc7UmjQvfCM cool old crane & trucking photo montage

Last edited by frizzen; 01-30-2021 at 01:23 AM.