View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 08:38 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish 3D printed DOT "Construction Ahead" sign display

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
That is really slick... you Arduino guys are like wizards...
Thanks, but eh, it's not as bad as it looks. All the various bits have software already written for them ("libraries", and thankfully the more recent Arduino software has come a LONG way in managing those, almost STANDARDS now! =)) ) Then you just pick and choose "I want to use the LCD display", set it up with "it has this many pixels and is this orientation" (0*, 90*, 180*, 270*), and then say "I want to use this font with this color and put these words in this place." Graphics are a bit harder, but that's the general idea. Mine's a bit less than 300 lines of code (heavily formatted, as I'm a stickler for visibility) but it would be half that if it didn't do the iBus turn signals and was just the display.

The hardest part, actually, was that to get the right "look", like light bulbs or LED's, was I had to find a font that had the round "pixels" like that, and then import it into the LCD stuff. Took me an afternoon, but I think it paid off in making it look "right", if that makes sense. If the letters were square (or heaven forfend, high resolution) it just wouldn't be right =))

-- A

Last edited by dremu; 06-24-2021 at 08:41 PM.