View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 12:57 PM

TylerDSAudi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Progress Thread - 8750 Marion Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenard View Post
What scale are you building in? Its gonna be awsomely huge!
The scale I haven't worked out just yet. When i started building this dragline i looked all over the internet for the 8750 specs for all the measurement to go off, but all the webpages I had problems loading. Was browsing the other day and found all the info i needed..... SO now, i will be using those as references and will compare those measurements to my machine to have a scale for it. I just built it the size i felt good about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Nice to see another cable machine here. My favorite.
Look over my 9W build and you will see just about all you need to know on how to power one. Look towards ebay for motors drives master switches slip rings ect. I would have spent way more if I couldn't have obtained my parts from ebay. There was lots of time and money spent with trial and error too. My system for 90VDC motors works very well and never gives any problems. I really like the 4 quadrant regenerative drive system. Read up on that. I don't know much about the smaller voltage motors. I think the 4Q drives can be bought from one of the robot parts suppliers but may cost more than the 90V ones listed practically a dime a dozen on ebay. There is tons of cheap motor drives out there for that. But remember, the smaller voltages draw more current so a heavy duty slip-ring will be needed. You may need to add flywheels on the smaller motors too to duplicate the dynamics of the motions so you don't end up with a big pendulum swinging back and forth.
I get some time, I'll take some pictures of my collection of master switches that will work.
9W Monighan, I have looked over your build many times over and over and I don't even know what to say because Im so impressed with the type of work you do! Your machining and attention to detail is amazing! Im going to need a lot of help on these electronics as i do not know anything at all about this stuff. I just want to be able to run a joy stick type for operational controls and run it off 110v power so I'm not worried about battery power constantly. If you help me out with that it would save me a lot of time and money like you said then playing around with stuff that won't work in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
TYLERDSAudi-nice to see someone building a dragline. From your explanation I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the controls. R/C controlled or hard wired? These joysticks claim to be radio ready-
https://www.servocity.com/html/joystick_modules.html
I haven't heard of anyone using these but they might work. Post lot's of pictures.
Got to dragline, only way to clear material :P. I was going to build this dragline as an RC operated unit with speed controllers, batterys, remote and such, but after thinking about batterys dying and always charging them it turned me away from it a bit. Mostly i wanted realistic joystick controls as well and an RC remote isn't going to cut it for me. I just posted those 2 joysticks as an example, as they are the only thing i found so far that are 4 position like i need, joystick type and can be hard wired too. My plan is to run 110v plug in.

Those joystick you posted look really nice in position, they are little more pricey but whatever works I guess.

Last edited by TylerDSAudi; 07-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.