View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 01:46 AM

TylerDSAudi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Progress Thread - 8750 Marion Dragline

Update:

Today started on the Brazing process of the boom. Cool little process as easy as soldering, very similar to ox welding. You can do it with a propane torch, just heat your metal up for a couple minutes and every now and again drag the filler rod through what your trying to fill. If it doesn't melt its not ready, when it does your good to go. Went by every easy and way better then trying to rig tac all this tiny metal that wants to melt away so fast! It will easily hold for what I'm doing.

Next will come figuring out what i want the middle brace to be which will be the max height between the two sections of boom. I then will work my way up towards the tip of the boom making the bracing ever so smaller. After i will try to do the same thing, but if there isn't as much leeway I would rather the boom go from thin at the top and wider at the bottom if i can't go from thin to thick to think because of they way to metal wants to bend. Should be a fun little project at least 2 hour min.

Im looking for little metal wheels *point shives* to use for the top of the boom, bottom to weave the drag rope through and a set in the A frame area for the hoisting rope. I will need 8 in total. Let me know link, cheapest is always the best