View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MFU Coupler Switch: Required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
The original release of the MFU-01, came with a new 5th wheel. Did you buy the complete MFU, or the newer striped down version that doesn't come with all the plastic trees? It shouldn't be a problem, I downloaded a copy of the Knight Hauler manual, if you look at your manual, section (35), it indicates that the truck does come with the correct 5th wheel and how to install the swich, unless there was a revision done at some point and you somehow got a truck with the old one like the King Hauler, or Globe Liner did. As far as the function of the switch, I have had no problems like some people did. Just make sure there are no burs on the parts that could affect the movement of the switch or the hook, don't tighten the screws to much, and use a dab of ceramic grease on the hook. And in regards to the MFU cutting power to the motor until the switch is closed, I haven't checked it out with a meter, and I Don't really see the purpose of doing that, But I have heard it mentioned here and there on the forum.

Hope this helps,
Pete
I agree with Pete....the switch works fine if you use the ceramic grease (other types of grease can be a bit 'sticky' and will only add to the problem) and don't overtighten the screws. The way I put it together was to tighten everything then back the screws off by 1/4 or 1/2 turn till everything worked reliably. If you think the screws might come undone, use threadlock but make sure you use some of Tamiya's general purpose blue threadlock where there are plastic parts. The red jelly stuff can damage plastic and should only be used on metal parts.

My personal recommendation is to use the switch - whilst it does change the power, I find it most useful because of the coupling sound effect so you know when you have coupled/ uncoupled correctly when you're not standing over the truck. It can be difficult to tell visually if you are standing a few meters away....not good to drive away and find your trailer drops off...!

The general rule with Tamiya manuals is that the white parts come from the kit that the manual belongs to, the parts coloured light grey come from somewhere else. Eg, when you look through the MSL manual, you will notice some parts in grey which you need for the assembly....these parts come from the original tractor truck or trailer kit, not the MSL kit. So for the coupler, find the manual where the 5th wheel with the switch is shown as a white part, then you know to look in that kit for it. I didn't know Tamiya changed the kit contents, so check both the MFU and Knight Hauler manuals to see where you should find it...it WILL be there somewhere, Tamiya are not known to miss parts in their kits...

I agree to ditch the vibration unit, I did the same. It drains the battery and the effect is not realistic!

Last edited by ricm; 09-01-2014 at 09:49 PM.