View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Green Horn

DieselKid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DEF fluid in heavy equipment !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
DEF SUCKS,
That is why alot of guys are ordering glider kits that is the only way around not having to put a DEF system in a big rig.....

TONY
Yep! There were a ton of vendors/dealers at MATS in Louisville this year advertising that approach because people are realizing how futile it is to run with all of the emissions BS!

Knock on wood our '14, '15, and now incoming '16 Cascadias with the DD13s and DEF have been pretty reliable units............almost 500,000 on one of the first '14s we took delivery of with a team in it..........engine light here and there for something non 'life threatening'. As long as the drivers keep an eye on that DEF gauge it's been smooth sailing. AND I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH: STORAGE OF DEF IS THE KEY!......Don't Re-fill/reuse jugs of DEF......Go bulk for storage if at all possible in 250 gallon totes, etc. and pump direct. I've heard horror stories of owner opeators who refilled old washer fluid jugs, etc. with DEF and it bit them in the butt as far as contamination issues and picky sensors that noticed the difference, and derated power before completely shutting the unit down!

I do know this from the little we've had to do on them..............clean water will rinse any fittings/etc. that have crystalized DEF on them with relative ease, followed up with a blow gun.

Yeah I'm not a fan of DEF anymore than the next guy..........but having ripped my hair out and used the F-bomb in every way, shape, and form imaginable from being under the hood (actually behind the firewall on those bastards!) of the Maxxforce engines (also painted yellow depending on application but the same 6 cylinder scrap heap)...............I'll say I'm enjoying my days in the shop much better now, and so are the office girls with sensitive ears!!! I've got 18 2012 Prostars sitting out front right now that are being taken one by one out to Newark where they are getting put on a boat and heading to Vietnam!!! And those poor guys thought they won the war!!! Although they'll probably peel the EGR Valve, coolers, and the rest of the 'dead weight' off and maybe be left with a decent truck!

Just my .02,

-Alex