View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1930s dumptruck - Nylint

As a 1/18 truck, the B1 is pretty good, but not stellar. As a 1/16 that will play around with 1/14, 1/12 scale...it's a donor.

There are no bearings, there are no differentials. All gears are plastic, looks probably nylon but i don't know. Driveshafts are plastic and the yokes don't inspire confidence. It's very toygrade. It's not a rock crawler with bulletproof drivetrain. These aren't tamiya semis you can let a kid ride on the trailer. But it can give cheap axles to get smaller vehicles moving. The 3D printer guys are going crazy and cranking out new parts weekly.

Anyway, i've always been impressed with the old trucks with how tiny of running gear they had, and just how capible they were. Plus this was the dumptruck i actually wanted to build first, the Structo was made since it was cool and fit the donor axles. I'm not planning on this being a primary dumptruck, but more of the company owners 'Restored Toy' that helped build the company and the owner takes out occasionally to do trade shows, events, and light jobs for fun in nice weather.

I need to make some more leaf springs, i've got single in front, doubled in back. It's still a little spongier than i'd like. I don't need to aim for huge capacity, the trucks only going to carry maybe 1-3 dragline scoops.

There's also a guy on the 'other' board building one of these WPL trucks into a (tamiya lunchbox) Dodge Tradesman, which i think would be fun to do as a 70s 'Vanning' custom. It's a decent little donor if you keep it reasonable.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-12-2023 at 10:31 AM.