View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D Printed Lowboy Redux

Hmmm, interesting idea. In theory, depending on capability of your printer and slicer software, that might be possible. Redesign part with and internal pocket. Some slicers will allow pausing print to change color other wise would have to insert gcode to cause a pause and probably move up some in Z to get come clearance room and then a resume print function. Would have to make sure that your "pocket" will be deep enough so that when metal part is inserted it is at or slightly below the level of the last layer printed. If it is higher then there is risk of collision between metal and extruder nozzle which could damage the print or the printer. Not sure what would happen as to expansion/contraction of metal as it is heated and cooled.

Don't think it could be done the way I printed my gooseneck as it was printed in one large piece. The pockets would have to be very deep down each side and the metal reinforcing inserted vertically. If the gap between plastic and metal is too tight it would be very difficult to insert the metal. If too loose I don't think it would do any good. If printed as the parts were originally designed then shallow pockets could be made and metal bars laid in horizontally.

I have no intention of printing out a whole new gooseneck at this time but I might try a small scale experiment to see if the idea has merit. If anyone else trys this let us know how it works.