View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Happy Memorial Day to everyone, especially all of the veterans and those who are in active duty. My thanks to all of you who have helped maintain our freedoms and way of life!

I figured with a 3 day weekend I would (should) do some more work on my Kenworth. I enlisted the help of a friend of mine from work, who was kind enough to turn down some aluminum stock for me on the lathe. I gave him the material and my drawings, and he gave me back my air cleaners. Special thanks to Ron. They are actually pretty simple parts. I just bought some precision ground .75" round stock, so nothing needed to be turned beyond the relief cuts for the screens. All in all a pretty simple job, but something I couldn't do because I don't have a lathe. Maybe I should get one!

On with the photos!

They still need a final polishing and a bit of clean up, but it shouldn't take much to get them looking flawless. I thought for the old Kenworth strapless air cleaners would look best. Sort of going for a resto-rod project truck here.

For a little extra touch of style, I planned to illuminate the inside of the air cleaner screens with an LED. I've always loved this look on the 1:1 trucks. I have blue LEDs on order for the truck, but just to see how it would look I stuck a red LED inside, temporarily.

And one more in the dark -

Thanks for looking guys. Have a great weekend.