View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Coop I worked on some of this kind of molding years ago and things have changed big time but I'm with bigford, unless you cut your pattern in half in the tread centerline and its laying cut side face down why aren't we seeing half the tire sticking out of your first mold pour?
I guess I was just posting progress pics

This is the first half of mold poured last night. Have to let first half cure before second half gets poured. I should have taken a picture of the clay base. In the first pic the mold box has 3/4" of clay the tire is resting on. Then clay up the sides to centerline of tread pattern. Also why I choose a tread pattern to make mold simpler. The pink is the mold material poured onto half the tire.

In the second pic I removed the mold box, and removed the clay. Some more cleaning and then a release agent, then second half of mold will be poured onto that. Making a complete two part mold. Pour holes and vent holes will be added. And that is the ugly side of tire that will always be facing inward so not as much time spent on smoothing out all the little lines.

I choose to make the mold this way as it seemed more uniform. I guess I could have made the first half with the plugs on bottom and not went the clay rout. Eather way it's the same.