View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6X6 Quarry Dump Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
wow loving the walking beam set up. and the brass tube for the driveshafts!

I had tried the RC4WD plastic driveshafts that look just like the Steel versions. They would twist the star "tube" to the point that the U joints would then slip out. Granted this was with a truck pulling a full load of sand and going over some real harsh ground. On the other hand even my on road Cab over mack twisted a shaft pulling my flat bed when I was backing down a steep hill and then tried to move forward. IMO the RC4WD shafts are only good for trucks that dont get dirty or pull any sort of weight around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
How much does the inter axles drive shaft move in and out? I always have trouble with this shaft popping out because of how short it is and how much articulation I try to get out of the stock Tamiya suspension?

I was thinking about making a walking beam that rubber mounts the axles to the beams and thus keeps the inter axel drive-shaft angle straight at all times. only the front shaft would move in and out of the tube to take up the length difference when traveling over bumps. I know your example is more 1:1 but I always have issues with lots of articulation and the little driveshaft. I went back to the tamiya cups and dog bones between both drive axels because they were performing better than the scale driveshafts did.
Thanks Lmack, I got rid of the dog bone/cup set up. I don't think it'll work well off road with a lot of articulation. Here are some photos of my inter-axle shaft which is an axial crawler drive shaft cut down. The pictures show the suspension at full tilt fore and aft which on the bench is way more than it'll ever see in the field, I'd guess there is about 1/4" movement. Side to side twisting of the axles doesn't really change it much. I don't know how easy it would be to make a shaft for the stock suspension spread, mine is scale 72.5" which is the widest spread for a Hendrickson "R" model.