View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Hi everyone, hope you have nice holidays!
Have not been so active with this Cat, but did get it running 3 months ago.
Found out that servos did not work as well as planned, felt like not having enough power (they should).
As you can see on link to vid bellow, that day model was only doing a left turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psCaubtK4uo

Now I have new servos, got the holder cut only to get it together. But it's winter and have no warm garage to work in so have to wait (what is a couple of months, been building for 10+ years now).

Another problem is heat, engine getting to hot. Have tested removing noice damper inside homebuilt muffler, ended up mounting original silencer instead, hood and sides can not be on model with this muffler. Have to find another solution. Will try make a exhaust system without muffler to see if temperature gets lower.

And there's still some issues in hydraulic system. Can say that I was quite close to remove engine and hydraulic drive line, replacing it with electric motors. I know now that my size of model is as small as possible to build with this, components, tubing, hoses and all oil needed to get it running is just to much. A scale 1:5 should have been useful, every bit inside is used (of course cab could been used for oil and others but that's no option for me).

Some design errors made on homebuilt hydr cylinders has to be corrected to, but I'm supriced how good cylinders for blade turned out. Still more than 3 months since model was runned, blade is in air! That's tight cylinders, and weight of blade is almost 50 lbs.

Yes Jack, have all drawing saved on the model, but there will never be another made by me, just to many other interesting models to be built.

During the last months I have been active building some railroad stuffs, will post that in a seperate tread later.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!
Dan