View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Said it before, spring and summer is time for the 1:1 equipment but that work is a little slow right now, lacking needed workshop space. Lost parking space to for the Freightliner and Pete but looks like new ones coming
Did a new cab in thicker steel, now 1mm instead of the 0,75mm in the first one. This fraction make a lot differens to stability, realise now that some parts like roof and the side parts where doors is mounted could have been thicker, like 1,5 or 2mm. The roof still flexes when welding (i probably do something wrong but I´m learning). Sides with windows can not be thicker due to rubber used to mount plexi.
Was planning to TIG this second cab but did go with MIG again. Guess I should not been in so hurry to weld this but but now it´s done

3 different stages, first a paper mockup, then parts for a new cab and a rejected cab!

The cab that will be used in front, have also been cut on top to get right form. The cab might look square but it´s only the front that´s not leaning. There will be reinforce inside cab between side windows (there´s a little bend) to help straighten up side.

Dan