View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Steve, sorry to say but there will not be any shippment. The model will not be ready for any shows this summer. To much modelling time lost during last winter.

Thanks again for nice words, got me to do something more before starting working with my 1:1 Pete!

A small detail made. the covers on track frame

Had a seperate thread earlier, with a discussion about mufflers and "how to".
Started to build the first test muffler today, did go for a circular design instead of box. The idea of building a muffler is to get as nice as possible engine sound. The engine is a Honda 85cc 4-stroke so it will never sound like a 3406 but I will try to keep revs low (1500-2000rpm) and with a bigger volume in muffler, I hope to get better sound, time will tell. The outside of muffler is a 4mm steel tube, inside will be a smaller tube (not this one) with a lot of holes. The inner tube will be connected to stack placed as like original. Copper parts only to show proposed tubing to outlet.

The left side will be bolted to muffler so it can be opened and interior changed if sound is wrong. There will be support brackets between engine and muffler due to the much higher weight of muffler.

I think sound is really important, on a electrical operated model you can use available sound units (donĀ“t know if a Cat 3406 is available). Another feature often over looked is correct speed. To many models are operated at a much to high speed (could be traveling speed, steering, hydraulic movements).
The best looking model can be ruined by being operated wrongly.
I have made calculations when designing the hydraulic drive line to get as correct speed as possible. When it comes to the other functions I will have bigger hydraulic lines for dozer control (higher speed in the real ones) but smaller lines for ripper (lower speed), all based upon observation on real ones.
Looking forward to start the engine to see what can be done on sound!
Dan