View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 04:53 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

I decided the front axle needs to move forward a bit to get better centered within the fender. So I drilled a couple new holes in the leaf springs.

However, this moved the axle too far forward. So then I moved the hanger back and up just a bit. This would bring the wheelbase back a smidge, but also give me a bit more caster. By the way, you can see how poorly my paint is adhering to the self-etching primer. I recently picked up some touch-up paint and I'll definitely be needing it when I go to reassemble.

And here's my plan to put a little space between the duallies. First, I thread in some longer 12mm screws through the hub. I also added a dab of grease on the hub to hopefully prevent the wheels from bonding to the paint that seems to want to come off far too easily sometimes!

Install the inner wheel and then add nuts to the wheel studs. In this case, the nuts are 1.5 or 2 mm in thickness.

Now with the outer wheel installed I have a reasonable amount of space between the tires. It's not excessive like a brodozer but it's just about what I was hoping for so I'm pleased.