View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

After yesterday's trouble with the bowden cable I was prepared for another ordeal. However it all turned out to go rather easy.

First attach the bowden pull tube to the axle and guide it to the clamps that were installed way back and guide it through the frame to the clamps near the servo.

Then insert the steel cable, make sure it moves smoothly. Then cut bowden pull cable to size.

Attach steel cable to the puller on the axle - I used a loop there before I put in the screw - and push cable till it comes out at the servo. (If I do this again, I will insert a screw in there before I even mount the axles to the frame. Saves a lot of fumbling)

For those who wonder how the bowden is clamped in place on the axle:

The hole through which the tube goes is attached with a screw. You have to loosen this one a bit so you can push the hose through. Afterwards just tighten a bit and hose is clamped in place without being crushed.

The next axle is same procedure

I first tried to run the pull cable through the indicated hole in the frame, but that just complicated things. So went straight to the previously installed clamp.

Tensioned up and eft some extra for possible later adjustments. Cut all the cable ends shorter and added a dab of crazy glue to stop fraying.

Was going to stop here, but then noticed that the left over bits from the rear axles were more than enough to do the front ones too. (so still have a complete set of cables from the front axles that should sufficient to redo the lot) Again same procedure, but routing is way simpler. (did have to take of the steering linkage for the 2nd axle to be able to get the the screw that allows the cable to be attached to the axle. Since it was off I also adjusted the tracking that was a bit off)

On a side note ... when I installed the motor/gearbox I left the cables from the servos dangling where they were ... not a smart move. Took some fiddling to get them where they belonged.

Well, now is the time to get out the remote control and start fine tuning the servos and checking gearshift and steering before I start on the driver's cabin etc.

Last edited by Rakthi; 06-22-2015 at 01:27 AM.