View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Exile Trucking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my first semi build (dump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseracer View Post

thanks Joe, no they do not come with end caps ;( but my friend is making me some there just not ready yet. and the tail gate does lock its just little different then normal

Hi. Mike here. aka chaseracer's cap making friend.

Jason is a good guy that gives me lots of stuff to do that chalenges me as a new [and i use this word lightly] machinest.

So the latest project is center caps for his wheels. Took some measurements off the wheel and then went to put it back on the front axle. Only to find that when it was tight the wheel is locked up. Took it apart and figured out the the total measurement of the two bearings and the sholder inside the rim were 0.022 more then the shank they ride on.

Dam, guess i have to do some milling to his nice new wheels [no presure at all]
So I took a peasce of scrap and made the bearing fit just right before I chuck up a wheel in the mill.

After that I was sure it was right and took 0.025 out of the backside of the bearing sholder. Hot dam it worked just like hopped it would. Nice and tight but free to spin.

Now thats the wheel works back to making caps....not yet. The snout on the front wheel stands out to far for the look jason wants.

As you can see so does the axle stub. Cool something thats a no brainer. Just trim it down.

lol. Back to the mill with the new wheels. By by snout.

Time to make a cap.

No picture of it but there is a releaf in the backside of the cap for the axle stub and nut.

Heres the evolution of the caps I made with the right end one being the one Jason liked the most for the look he wants.

In the end this is what they look like.

Back wheels next time.

Thanks for lookin
Mike

Last edited by Exile Trucking; 01-13-2013 at 06:10 AM.