View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 AM

moo10032 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CROSS-RC MC8 8x8 Kit (Re-Post)

Over the last couple weeks I basically gutted all the original layout of the drive train and replaced it with 2, 3-speed transmissions for a total of 9 different gear ratios via the transmitter! I put a 3-Speed transmission from the Tamiya semi-trucks inside the cab like the real truck's design. I had to mount it very high up inside the cab to clear the axles when they are fully compressed, also to clear the top of the steering servo. It has a 3:1 Great Planes gear reduction and a 55T RC4WD motor to power it all. I then re-arranged the electronics on the whole truck and made a platform above the transmission for the receiver, ESC and the LED driver the truck came with. The transmission output then runs through a drive-shaft carrier and then down to the RC4WD 3-Speed Transfer Case. The transfer case is pretty bad-***, the gears inside it look pretty beefy and it has had a lot of use so far and is holding up very well. The transfer case can switch from 2WD 1:1, 4WD 1:1 and 4WD 2:1. I had to modify some of the under carrige of the flat-bed to relocate the battery, I ended up using a Tamiya battery holder from one of my semi trucks which fit perfectly under it. For the transmitter I added another 3-way switch to my radio which was easy because I use a 9X 9 channel Turnigy radio system that's modded with a SmartieParts board and new firmware that's supports an endless amount of features.

I'm working on another video with a new camcorder for YouTube.