Thread: Ram Build
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 05:27 PM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ram Build

Finally.... I'm finishing this one up. the dump bed was a challenge, I'd never done anything like this so it was all kind of new.
First I had to figure out a place to hinge it from, I settled on fixing the bumper to the bed and hinging from the very bottom. This way the fenders bumper and everything moved. I didn't get fancy with the lift mechanism just a simple lift arm on the servo. I used a hiteck mini servo so it would fit under the bed. I wish it were stronger but it will lift a full pound and the bed isn't big enough to hold much more...

I made this rail so the bed wouldn't bounce when it was moving..

and it lifts high enough to completely dump dirt so ... it works..

I did headlights and tail lights and back-up lights... just wired the LEDs backwards across the motor so the only light up when the polarity to the motor reverses to back-up. I know not earth shattering but it worked better than I thought it would.
The truck sits higher than I wanted it to but I designed myself into a corner when I put the flat aluminum plates on the front and rear. Frizzen suggested I put the axles on top of the springs to get it lower but because there was a plate above the axles there wasn't enough room so I was kind of stuck. It will work and I'll know better next time...
I'll get the trailer done over the next few weeks, just some paint, tail lights and make the bed lift. I'll just put it all here... Now when I do my flat bed dually I'll know what not to do...lol