RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

I got the chance to see the boom for this masterpiece in person at the east coast show and it is just unbelievable the detail and craftsmanship are second to none good job Steve.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Eef, I want to get these done. I want to move on to other things on the boom. Pretty boring on the milling operation. It takes 9min.ea to drill the 6 holes and pocket the spokes for the 24pcs. This evening I'm going to program the other side.Probably take close to 15min. each. I could probably go faster but risk breaking my 3/32''carbide endmill. I still need 6 more sheaves that are different size.

Lorenzo, I made each one on my lathe manually:bore,groove,part off, face to thickness.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 AM

lorenzo is on a distinguished road

Oh, very time consuming and boring work. I don't really like those kind of work.
But never the less they look like if they are done by cnc. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Finally got this set done. This is enough to reeve the boom but I still need a a couple smaller to run down to the boom hoist.

Collet fixture to hold in mill

view showing groove for 1/16'' cable
Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

they look beautiful!
Are you going to use ball bearings?

kerst
Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Nice wheels, have to get a CNC machine sometime. Was a little surpriced when visiting the show in Germany last november, there was manufactors showing CNC equipment, had never thought about that modeler should be those machines. Now when looking here at the forum I see more and more modeler using those.
Dan
Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

Nice looking work as always.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve, you mentioned a while back, about changing the toggle switch's on your controlbox? Have you seen the joystick controler's in the Automation direct catalog?
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...etal/Joysticks I'm planning on using these for my grader project
(1:1) And alot less than what Grainger want's for sqaure d or telemechanique
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hey Steve, you mentioned a while back, about changing the toggle switch's on your controlbox? Have you seen the joystick controler's in the Automation direct catalog?
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...etal/Joysticks I'm planning on using these for my grader project
(1:1) And alot less than what Grainger want's for sqaure d or telemechanique
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Neal, Thanks for the link. This is what I was talking about, I was thinking of taking the guts out of a DX6 or 7 and installing them in these controls from a real machine. I still need swing pedals though. I could eliminate the radio all together and go thru a slip ring with more conductors also.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks All
No bearings Kerst, These will run on bronze bushings. They don't rotate enough to ever need ball beraings. The deflection sheaves will run on a bushing too. Those are next to machine.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Wannabe

hmmm, for short range and the room you have, what about a pair of Arduino boards with Xbee wireless on their backs. Just set up to to a few analog and digital IO's???
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

That control setup would be pretty cool Steve! is that a old cat pedal I spy in the background? I got a bunch of old pedal tractors, I'm trying to sell 'em. Keep up the good work!

Brian
Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve, I'll keep my eye's open next week, for pot. style controller's. Let me know if you need info on hall effect or encoder style joystick's.
More idea's http://www.jrmerritt.com/ Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Jeff, You got me lost. Is this like bluetooth?. I don't know anything about what you talked about but I'm aware it could be done. One of my kids said why not use a playstation 2 controller and I've seen a interface that could use one but I don't want to experiment on new things yet.

Yes Brian That's a D4 pedal tractor. I also have a small ''H'' ,560, 86 series, and a AC 7080 buried in my garage attic.
Neil, I have atleast a dozon different kinds of joy sticks, Master switches from all kinds of stuff I bought on ebay over the years. My design has changed several times and the radio control seemed to be the easiest (Less wires).
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post

Yes Brian That's a D4 pedal tractor. I also have a small ''H'' ,560, 86 series, and a AC 7080 buried in my garage attic.
Ya wanta buy any more??

Brian
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Wannabe

Yes,the Xbee wireless is on a bluetooth frequency, some of the more powerful ones have a 1 mile LOS range.

The Arduino board is a computer programmed logic controller board with (depending on model) several Analog I/O's and Several Digital I/O's as well as a few can be configured as PWM (like servo commands). I've been toying with the idea of making my own Radios if I ever get around to building my own large scale RC equipment. I believe you can even use them with a wireless PS3 controller as well But in your case I would hook up the real controls.

I got this book several weeks ago, is well written and easily understandable. I think if you can handle G-code for the cnc you could handle programming an Arduino board (2 in this case). http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9301

Here's a vid of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtI7_UQGTw

Last edited by pugs; 03-19-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Now your talking. That looks very interesting. That pot demo is basically what starts my motor drives. All you need is a variable+10vdc and -10vdc to make the motor go forward or reverse. I will have to look into that in the future. What about interference with similar controls operating nearby or do these work like the 2.4ghz radios?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

That would be cool to run it with full scale controls. It would also be neat to mount a camera on the house and a monitor in front of the controls to run it.

"No load is too Small"
Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Wannabe

Yeah, these little Arduino boards can also be set up with real time feedback as well as they communicate both ways. So things like winch motor temp or something could be monitored at the controls.

I did see some small cams and screen on arduino someplace but not sure about over wireless as the data flow might have been too much for them, but the possibilities are there.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
That would be cool to run it with full scale controls. It would also be neat to mount a camera on the house and a monitor in front of the controls to run it.
Remember me talking at Brownsville last summer in the 90deg heat? I was thinking about building a cab for the 1:1 controls with air conditioning and sit inside so nobody talks to the operator distracting him so he don't screw up the drag