RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My new obsession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose19 View Post
Make sure, if you decide to clear over the decals you test the paint first!
I attempted that on a model once......didnt turn out so good. I used an enamel based rattle can clear and it ate the decals.

can't wait to see the ih trailer. Glad to see more than a few people who know what color a real tractor is supposed be!

some good ideas for when I get around to painting mine!
Very good point Goose. Always experiment off the truck. I used acrylic paints with an airbrush for the base black, silver and then the gold pin striping, but then used an enamel rattle can clear and that ate into the acrylic a little. Not so bad as to ruin the job, but I can see light patches through the black which thankfully looks like a shine. Live and learn! I will use all enamel in the future.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

Do what pleases you REV, and the end of the day, it is your truck and your choice. Sorry for the huge post, again, I was not picking at your truck at all, I think it looks incredible and I LOVE the color.. You mentioned that it was not shiny and I was just explaining why. I spent a LOT of time researching and practicing how to paint before I dared touch my own truck and am happy to share the info and steps that I learned as is the way on here.

Just practice on random objects for a while. You will perfect your skills and then the decision or option is always there for you in the future. A lot of guys completely redo their trucks every few years, it's perfectly normal. If you ever do decide to redo, just think hard about the color scheme and theme as it obviously is a big and scary job for us noobs! For now, sit back, enjoy and be very proud of the great work you have done so far. For a first build and paint job, I think you did a fantastic job.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road

Just an update. I went to the sign shop the other day and he is currently working on the farmall decals, and the more modernized IH logo from the late 70's early 80's. And my buddy is going to call me one night this week when he has time to shoot the IH red on the trailer panels so hopefully soon I will post some trailer pics. and after meeting up with civic83, and dirdydogrc I found out that the reason the cab of the truck is so rough is because I used (and I can already hear the groans) Krylon fusion plastic paint....I know, I know and I think I learned my lesson, it ain't worth the savings to have to repaint the whole cab...however I think it may have needed a new uniform to match the IH trailer theme, but for now it will have to do!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Green Horn

civic83 is on a distinguished road

I still say it looks fine rev!