RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Knight Hauler Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary Edition

Very nice build up, love the paint scheme and Pin striping. For a first you really did a great job. I will have to agree the beacons are a bit oversized for 1/14. Once you move them and change to the LEDs I think you will be very happy.

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much guys. Tamiya Cowboy I think it was one of your posts on the Tamiya Club forum that linked me here. Thanks for that!!! Best forum / site for RC trucks in existance.

Last edited by SWAGGER; 11-13-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Rather than a new post
Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Apprentice

Breaker, I just practiced and practiced. I had bleeding etc etc and just kept learning until I got it right. Watched a lot of vids on youtube for tips.

If I can pass on anything I have learned, use really good masking tape, not household or decorators tape, will ALWAYS bleed. Tamiya tape or similar, which is specifically for doing fine spray work is great, even automotive stuff will work. Secondly, build up your coats thin and dry, keep moving constantly, never stop in one spot. It will build and look wet, thats when you get bleeds. Left to right, down a little and back to the left. Nice even, steady strokes. The paint should be so fine that it looks dry.

Lastly, an air brush goes a long way, nice fine mist instead of the heavy spray of a rattle can. Plus far less orange peel to have to sand afterwards.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Apprentice

Right! To **** with it! I just bought a flatbed trailer on ebay. I was going to hold out and try to build a trailer from scratch but I am a little lost with regard to dimensions, parts, fabrication and lack of workshop and experience etc.

I decided to just buy a kit for now and at least I will have a trailer to mess about with pretty ASAP. In the mean time, I will take measurements of all of the main components like cross members and suspension hangers etc and get a good idea of how these are put together. Then I will start getting parts together and try to mock one up myself. I would like to make my own tri-axle flatbed with a 5th wheel. An A double is it? Sorry, im not a truck driver and only learning all the terminology as I go. I don't actually know the difference between an A double and a B double, I have heard of both.

What I really, really want to build from scratch is a low loader, I think you call them lowboys in the US, but I will need to fab my own frame, I think I can handle that.

What will be more tricky is the suspension. I will need to get suspension, axles and wheels that are suitable for a lowboy, obviously, 1/14 scale but smaller than standard truck and trailer wheels. A few of few have done this before, so any advice is more than welcome.

Also, if anyone has any trailer bits and bobs, accessories or whatnot that you are happy to sell, let me know. I think I would find it easier if I had a working stock of components that I can play around with and figure things out. I would consider anything, leaf springs, king pin, legs, axels - whatever.

All advice and opinions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

Beautiful Truck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Apprentice

Thanks RCTech!

Tim, thanks for the tip. That would help for sure, but my beacons are defo oversized, I am pretty sure now that they are 1/10 scale. So even tucking them down behind the cab on brackets will not hide that. Also, with all the paint done, I just don't want to start doing that sort of stuff, if I was going to, it should have been during pre paint mock up.

I reckon if I get the 1/16 scale LED beacons from PistenKing, they will look a whole lot better, even on the roof of the cab.

With regards to duck bums, I have never heard the term before but that's not to say that it's not a term that is used here, it's just that I am not a truck driver and would not be "in the know!"

Thanks very much for your advice and pics. Oh, and nice custom work there. I see a truck in the background with some very realistic weathering!!
Steve.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM

diddys trucking is on a distinguished road

Hi that is one super looking rig dont be ashamed about your paint job its wicked and besides ive been painting for years and im still lerning new things .One thing though i dont think that harly d would use an A double or a B double i could be wrong but i have never seen one thay always seem to have a race car style box trailer. But dont quote me on that lol
Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have one beautiful truck. I love the grill mesh, and the paint is perfect.
IMO, you did an excellent job buddy.

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
You have one beautiful truck. I love the grill mesh, and the paint is perfect.
IMO, you did an excellent job buddy.

Big John
Thanks glorydays, the mesh was really easy. Just something I had left over from my 1:1 car. I laid the original black mesh over it and just cut around it and popped it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddys trucking View Post
Hi that is one super looking rig dont be ashamed about your paint job its wicked and besides ive been painting for years and im still lerning new things .One thing though i dont think that harly d would use an A double or a B double i could be wrong but i have never seen one thay always seem to have a race car style box trailer. But dont quote me on that lol
Thanks Diddy, I can see how painting is an ever evolving skill. I was getting better and more confident as I went. I have picked up a few tricks and learned some lessons that will make the next one easier, quicker and cleaner, but yes, I am happy with this one. I think it looks well and there is a killer shine off it.

With regards to the trailer, you are probably right. I didn't necessarily mean I would use those trailers for this truck though. I would just like to build them would also like to a totally custom KH for them. You have me thinking on the racecar style trailer for this trucks now though. ****....more dreaming and money to spend LOL! Thanks buddy, I appreciate the tip off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT View Post
Steve if you’re interested the build-up of that truck is on page 2 of the Aussie section under "SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS T650"
Tim
Yeah Tim, I am interested. I'll take a look, thanks very much for the link!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Bill 832 is on a distinguished road

Awsome rig! Now I have more ideas for mine as it comes together!