RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM

porky69 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

That's the neat part about building a class 8 type truck...every one of them is built to order so while some options may not be common does not mean that it was not available to everyone.

I wouldn't doubt that there are very few 359 6x6 out there but I am fairly confident they are out there.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky69 View Post
That's the neat part about building a class 8 type truck...every one of them is built to order so while some options may not be common does not mean that it was not available to everyone.

I wouldn't doubt that there are very few 359 6x6 out there but I am fairly confident they are out there.
That's good enough for me! Thank you!

Now if only my wheels/tires would show up. Until then I can't mount my fenders or set ride heights. But I may be done with the bodywork. Just need to place a coat of primer on it to see how it looks.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Green Horn

Finally got around to swapping out a bunch of hardware for socket head stuff. I really don't like Phillips head hardware! I need to order more of certain sizes and some shoulder screws don't have a replacement so they'll remain, but overall, it should be much easier to work on and look way better, IMO.

And the bodywork on the top of the cab is looking pretty good. I think I may be done after one more round of light sanding.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Green Horn

Trimmed the floorboard to accommodate the higher transmission location.

Had to remove the seat mounting holes and will need to trim the seat mounts, but no biggie. I'll just glue them in when the time comes.

Intrudes into the cabin, but if it's visible when the build is done I may just fab up a new floor to hide it.

While test-fitting the body I noticed an issue. One of the reinforcing plates I added for the hood sides is interfering with the floor. I could've (and should've) Dremeled away some of the floor, but why not risk screwing up and having to do some more bodywork instead? LOL!

Fortunately, I am one with my Dremel and no harm was done while making adequate clearance.

And the Axial trans has now been "extensively modified" to be a transfer case!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Green Horn

Body work on the front fenders is done.....well, unless I decide to add some lights on top. Not sure about that just yet. It took several layers of filler primer and loads of sanding, but I'm pretty pleased with the result. The veritcal sides of the fenders are still rather rough, but I have no good way to sand those surfaces. Hopefully it won't be too obvious after paint and clear is applied....

Sorted the steering, as well. Used a short Losi aluminum servo arm (I don't like using plastic bits) and put the tie rod under the knuckles. Bumpsteer is minimal and clearances under bump travel are good.

Took a file to the knuckles to get a bit more steering out of the TLT axle.

Ackerman looks pretty decent. My thumbs says hello!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 PM

nenard is on a distinguished road

Wow !! fenders look great. What primer did you use?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenard View Post
Wow !! fenders look great. What primer did you use?
Thanks!! I just used some automotive filler primer I picked up from Advance Auto Parts. I'll see if I can get the manufacturer, but it wasn't anything special. But it did take about half a dozen rounds of priming/sanding to get it looking acceptable.