RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unit Cable Hoe

Nice video!!! Looking good!!!

Last edited by RCTech9; 02-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Unit Cable Hoe

Scott you got it working real good and when you get the teeth on it will be working better because the dirt will stay in the bucket a lot longer and you will reach the truck before any dirt comes out. Ed
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Impressed! nice using servos for power and they are cheap, 11.70.
Did buy servos 2 weeks ago, thought they where cheap, Hitec HS-225MG at $32 each (at least cheap here in Sweden). Got to try to make a small servo powered model some day!
Saw that your servo source had servos with continuos rotation at 14 bucks, anyone tested those?
Dan
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
it looked to be doing okay as it was in the video lol. This is gonna be a heck of a project of yours!

the boom line, is it just one piece from the lower boom to the servo then back to the top of the boom?

It works ok but, it still needs some tweaking.

No, there are two drums (servo driven) one for the top line (called a hoist line) and one for the bottom line (called a crowd line) to the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTech9 View Post
Nice video!!! Looking good!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Scott you got it working real good and when you get the teeth on it will be working better because the dirt will stay in the bucket a lot longer and you will reach the truck before any dirt comes out. Ed
Thanks Ed! Agreed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Impressed! nice using servos for power and they are cheap, 11.70.
Did buy servos 2 weeks ago, thought they where cheap, Hitec HS-225MG at $32 each (at least cheap here in Sweden). Got to try to make a small servo powered model some day!
Saw that your servo source had servos with continuos rotation at 14 bucks, anyone tested those?
Dan
Thanks Dan. The servos that are in this crane are HD-9150MG's that were about $40 a piece but, the ones I am using for the final version of the cable hoe have the same specs.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Scott, I'll get you some images from a B-E book so you can get the geometry correct. That thing is working nice. Looks like the bucket will have to be cured more seeing the dirt falling out too soon. I have some of the small machines: 10,15,20,22,25B parts books to look at.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Scott, I'll get you some images from a B-E book so you can get the geometry correct. That thing is working nice. Looks like the bucket will have to be cured more seeing the dirt falling out too soon. I have some of the small machines: 10,15,20,22,25B parts books to look at.
Steve, I think the straight angle will be fine after the teeth are on there. Do you have any good pics or documentation of the pulley tower by the cab on a 22B Hoe? That is the part I can't figure out how that is set up. It is just a single loop of steel with pulleys on top so, the cable setup must keep the tower in position?

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here it is loading the Mack with the new pulley setup. It lifts the load much better with the pulleys setup like the 1:1 unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syd2XaANbuU

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
It is just a single loop of steel with pulleys on top so, the cable setup must keep the tower in position?
That's called the jack boom. The boom hoist holds it from flopping forward and the weight of the boom/stick keeps it from flopping backward. The boom hoist has about a four-part line. Then when you're digging deeper you lean it forward a little and when you're digging shallower you lean it back a little as needed. i think there are usually three or four sheaves on it. Two on the outside for the boom hoist and one in the middle between the uprights if using a two part line to the top of the stick or two in the middle if using a three-part line. I would recommend finding an old copy of "Moving the Earth". Among other things, there are good explanations of revolving shovels and the various attachments.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOVING-EARTH-WOR...item5adc732dc6
This is close to the one my dad has, which I think is a '60's vintage. I don't know if the later editions have as much cable machine stuff. It ain't cheap but it's worth it! Every kind of earthmoving machine is covered.

Looking good!. I know this is more of a proof-of-concept thing so maybe you've already considered this, but splitting the end of the stick into a "Y" and attaching each leg of the Y to the bucket would help the bucket fill rather than dirt piling up against the end of the stick.

Last edited by Jared; 02-02-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

Here's a reeving diagram that's not very good. It may raise more questions than it answers.

http://www.tpub.com/content/construc...201-120049.htm

http://www.tpub.com/content/construc...201-120050.htm

Actually the picture of the 1:1 in the very first post isn't too bad for showing how it's done- if you know what you're looking at
Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

After watching the video I think you test of the boom was a big success. I think it works great! Well done! Since people are sending you BE info I thought that this video might help as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlBuDefgog
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

Yet another nice video!!! I think you should just paint the Boom/stick and call that part done L0L.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Your a pro at these conversions. I tried Albert's Cat skid steer on the weekend and it is a thing of beauty. What next, do you have up your sleeve.
Rob
Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTech9 View Post
Yet another nice video!!! I think you should just paint the Boom/stick and call that part done L0L.
Thanks! I gotta make a nicer boom and stick though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Your a pro at these conversions. I tried Albert's Cat skid steer on the weekend and it is a thing of beauty. What next, do you have up your sleeve.
Rob
Thank you very much Rob. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the delta loader! I actually don't have any future projects in the works.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Very fluent motion & smooth operating skill makes it exciting to watch Scott. Well done!

And great tutorial on aluminum welding. Is mapp gas hotter or colder than acetylene? Is it better to use mapp gas or is it just more convenient?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Jared, Thank You so much far all the info! I think I understand all of the cabling now after looking at the first diagram.

The only problem is the routing of the cables are compounded 2 times which would reduce the drum speed twice and that would slow everything down too much. In my second video loading the Mack truck with the pulleys added the cables are compounded once (cutting the speed in half) and the digging speed is just right. So, I'll just have to setup the jack boom a little differently on the model.

Joe, thank you very much.

Map gas burns a lot hotter than butane or propane and when brazing aluminum it sucks the heat up real bad as you can imagine. Even using Map gas it took a while to heat the hoe bucket up enough to flow the alumarod.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Scott I'll be sending you an email with several pages from a 22RB operator book. And several photos from a 10B 14B 15B parts books. I need your email.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Steve, that would be great. PM sent.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Steve, the pics you sent me look great. Thank You.

I was going to start making a nice looking boom & stick next but, I am going to make up the Jack/Auxiliary boom first and get that working properly. The more I look at all the info I can see why the hoist drum cable is compounded 3 times...it is because the pulley at the top of the stick is so close to the pivot point you need 3 times the power to pull it up and it will rise 3 times as fast because it is so close to the pivot point. But....when I tried moving the pulley attachment closer to the pivot point it made it much harder for the stick to extend all the way? It could be the fact that I am running it without a Jack boom (hoist cable too low of an angle) that is causing the extension problem. I'll keep experimenting.

"No load is too Small"
Old 02-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

more pictures on the way Scott
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

wow now thats going to a whole new level Scott!

for the reduced speed in the pictures there the left hand aux gantry sheave to right hand aux gantry sheave could be hooked up omitting the bottom left hand gantry sheave and that should give you more speed?
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.