RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Odds and Ends. > Non Rc Model Trucks and Equipment

Non Rc Model Trucks and Equipment This area is for the custom builders of the "MODEL" world to show there NON RC metal and plastic creations and builds.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Something "COMPLETELY DIFFERENT"

I dug out some pictures of a scale model I built back in the late 70's. My brother and I built a boat for the "super ship racing team" in 1977. The boat was made from wood with fibreglass cowlings. It was 17' long, weighed 250lbs. and was powered by a V-6 mercury engine. This boat went on to set an A.P.B.A. kilo record in 1978 of just under 120 m.p.h. The model I built was for an R/C customer of mine who was a big fan of the "super ship" team and he wanted a static model to sit on his mantle. Here is a few pictures of the model-

Last edited by modelman; 09-02-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: links wrong
Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Green Horn

Thorsteenster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Something "COMPLETELY DIFFERENT"

Nice work, great looking cat. Although I'm a little disappointed that beautiful wood finish isn't on the top side!

I haven't built a wood boat kit in probably 20 years, but I have a couple Dumas kits in the closet I hope to get around to pulling out one day. One's a Trojan cabin cruiser and the other a Sk'daddle jet/ski kinda boat. Second one I'd like to do a nice wood finish, so feel free to post how you did the bottom.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, record setter, nice work Tom. I'm amazed at the diversity of craftsmanship on this site.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Thor-thanks for the comments-actually this is not a "cat".A catamaran is larger and has higher freeboard and runs offshore. These boats are known as OPC (outboard performance craft) tunnel hulls. They are lite-weight sprint boats that run on relatively calm inland waterways and lakes. The entire model is sheeted with the same plwood but I had to paint the top to be like the real boat. I coated the model with 2 coats of "west" epoxy to seal the wood then applied the color an coated the entire boat with clear urethane.
Joe-thanks, I was involved in setting world records with the full size boats and with the R/C boats. I think I am the only person to hold records in all 3 boating organizations (APBA-NAMBA-IMPBA). Don't mean to brag but I am quite proud of these accomplishments. I found something I could do pretty well on water and stuck with it for 25+ years!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Green Horn

Thorsteenster is on a distinguished road

Doh! Yeah it's been awhile since I've looked at boats, cats almost look like a V hull with a slice taken out of the middle.
There are some beautiful boats in the Scale Boat section on RCgroups.