RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 PM

JDToumanian is on a distinguished road
Default Out of the Shadows...

Hey guys,

I've been a member here since early last year, and I couldn't believe it when I recently noticed that I had never posted before. I guess I've just been reading the countless thousands of posts, but I thought I'd at least say hello...

I've been interested in R/C all my life but it wasn't until I saw a PMD display at a hobby show back in the 1990s that I discovered R/C truck and construction models. I finally bought a few Tamiya kits last year (Globe Liner, King Hauler, Mercedes 1850L, and a few trailers) and I recently got a RC4WD 4200XL that I'm going to modify so I'll probably be posting here more often.

Where I live in Phelan, California, near the foothills in the south end of the Mojave Desert about 75 miles northeast of L.A., it's perfect for excavating, and I'd like to build up a site on my property where I can set up a mining and screening operation. Maybe someday even host an event. Another idea I've had is to build a working cement mixer and a miniature batch plant...

My other hobbies include machining and fabrication, 1/3 scale miniature railways, and full-size trucks... I have 7 of them, a Ford CT-8000 dump truck and 6 military trucks (deuces, 5-tons, and a HEMTT). Boy I love talking about myself, don't I?

Regards,
Jon

Last edited by JDToumanian; 06-29-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 AM

Howie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Out of the Shadows...

Hi Jon, a happy first post to you. We do luv the photos.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 AM

Yeah, I'll post some pics tomorrow... I'm at work at the moment but here's a YouTube video a buddy of mine made of the trip we made to pick up my HEMTT. I bought it at a government auction in Louisiana, spent a day (and a few thousand bucks) servicing it, then drove it 2,200 miles home.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fpr1t2epaKw

Jon
Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you going to do with the hemtt? besides have a blast with it!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
What are you going to do with the hemtt? besides have a blast with it!!!
I really love military trucks, and I'm a big fan of trucks powered with 2-stroke Detroit Diesel engines, so the HEMTT has that going for it (500hp 8V-92TA). Also, it's a blast to drive... My friends and I 'convoy' to military trucks events, go off-roading in the desert, parades (scouts), and I display at trucks shows, air shows, and other events. The crane is very useful too, when your hobbies include engines that weigh 3,500lbs, 1,200lb radiators that hold 20 gallons of coolant, etc...

Well I'm not sure why I'm having trouble posting pics, I read the FAQ and I'm familiar with forums, but when I upload I get errors. I think the error is that the site is not automatically resizing my pics. I see that a JPG can only be 97.7kb but when I make them that small they're literally tiny thumbnails not worth uploading. Obviously people are uploading regular size pics, so I'll have to do a little more research or maybe someone can point me to a thread where this is covered... Thanks!

Jon
Old 07-01-2016, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Hi Jon, a happy first post to you. We do luv the photos.
I just noticed that you're relatively local to me... I'd love to attend local shows and other events. This stuff would be way more fun in a group!

Jon
Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDToumanian View Post
I really love military trucks, and I'm a big fan of trucks powered with 2-stroke Detroit Diesel engines, so the HEMTT has that going for it (500hp 8V-92TA). Also, it's a blast to drive... My friends and I 'convoy' to military trucks events, go off-roading in the desert, parades (scouts), and I display at trucks shows, air shows, and other events. The crane is very useful too, when your hobbies include engines that weigh 3,500lbs, 1,200lb radiators that hold 20 gallons of coolant, etc...

Well I'm not sure why I'm having trouble posting pics, I read the FAQ and I'm familiar with forums, but when I upload I get errors. I think the error is that the site is not automatically resizing my pics. I see that a JPG can only be 97.7kb but when I make them that small they're literally tiny thumbnails not worth uploading. Obviously people are uploading regular size pics, so I'll have to do a little more research or maybe someone can point me to a thread where this is covered... Thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon welcome to the forum. To post pictures you need to use a photo hosting site like photobucket or flicker etc. I think we kind of blew up the forums server, space wise with all the thousands of photos downloaded to it.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Hi Jon welcome to the forum. To post pictures you need to use a photo hosting site like photobucket or flicker etc. I think we kind of blew up the forums server, space wise with all the thousands of photos downloaded to it.
Thanks! I'll have to get set up at one of those sites, I haven't used a hosting site before but I definitely want to be able to post pics...

Jon
Old 07-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Welcome! I'm in Los Angeles, would be great to set something up in the future.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftmys10 View Post
Welcome! I'm in Los Angeles, would be great to set something up in the future.
Yeah, I'll try to get my excavator done by the time the weather cools off...
Old 07-04-2016, 06:52 AM

I got the picture posting thing figured out... Here's a few pics of my HEMTT, my deuce with converter dolly and trailer (you can't really drive it like that, that trailer is too heavy), and my Ford CT8000 dump truck. I'd like to build a 1/14 scale HEMTT someday. Maybe build a model of the dump truck too.

Jon

Last edited by JDToumanian; 07-04-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Wow it's got a crane in the back! I haven't seen one with a crane like that. Tires look great too!