RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 PM

mototodo is on a distinguished road
Default Hobbs Reefer From a Tamiya Semi Trailer

This trailer was inspired by a used King Hauler and semi trailer that my son and I had purchased together a while back. That thread can be found here: http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...hlight=snowman Some will notice that the thread is five years old. It has taken quite a bit of time to get back to this and my son will soon graduate from college. In the ensuing years I bought out my son's share in the truck to support his RC scaler habit while he was living on a college student's budget and my involvement in scale RC trucks was back-burnered while other hobbies took over my free time. I dabbled here and there but something else was always diverting my attention and finances. It's a problem resulting from too many expensive and time-consuming hobbies. I have recently come back to the truck and I now remember how much fun these little monsters can be.

The first step was the W900 tractor and aside from waiting for a new grill, I am happy with where that stands now. The next step was to convert the wagon to a more Hobbs looking trailer. I started with the rear end.

The axles on these short boxes really need to be moved rearward. I drilled new holes in the chassis rails and aligned the first bolt in the three-holed mount with the last hole from it's original position, then redrilled the rest of the holes the same ~1.5" rearward. I lengthened the rear shock by replacing the piston bolt with a longer smooth collared bolt to compensate for the difference in chassis rail thickness. It was an elegant solution.

Changing the bumper to a U.S. standard, removing the Tamiya fenders, adding mud flaps and converting the tail lights.

Things look a little crooked but some of it is lens distortion and some of it is from not being buttoned up tight yet. Next I will move the tail lights outboard and add the LEDs.

Last edited by mototodo; 02-04-2018 at 11:54 AM.