RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Where to buy?

Well, I know you guys all make your custom rigs, but I am looking for some decent construction equipment for a decent price, I saw some on the web for 5 grand and there is no way I could afford something of that price, So do you guys know where I can get some construction equipment for a pretty cheap price. I have such a huge desire to get into this hobby

Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to buy?

Sorry to have to tell you but for quality equipment you will be looking at the $5,000 or higher range. Your only option is to build it yourself and you will still have to invest a good amount of money.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
Sorry to have to tell you but for quality equipment you will be looking at the $5,000 or higher range. Your only option is to build it yourself and you will still have to invest a good amount of money.

Travis

Geez thats crazy for R/C vehicles (no offence), Looks like ill be sticking to the real equipment at my dads business
Old 02-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Geez thats crazy for R/C vehicles (no offence), Looks like ill be sticking to the real equipment at my dads business
No offence taken Wyatt but look at it this way some spend over $10k for a snowmobile or $20K for a motorcycle or throw money at a hopped up diesel truck they use for a grocery getter. It is all in what hobby you want to spend you money on.

One of the guys I work with and his son went out and bought two new snowmobiles at $15K a piece and we have had no snow this year. Now they have to spend more money to drag them up to Michigan just to get to use them. Now that is a lot of money to spend just to get to ride them for a weekend.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Little miss fabricator

Msmaddie is on a distinguished road

Hey Wyatt, I agree it's abit of a shocker when you come into this hobby and start seeing the price tags on stuff, but once u started looking at the amount of money I drop on my full size stuff this turns into a very affordable hobby. If you look at my avatar. I have almost a 100k tied up between the car and the truck. I only drive them in the summer. In a few years those 2 vehicles would only be worth a small fraction of what I spent on them.

The nice thing about this hobby is that this stuff doesn't really drop in value (as long as it doesn't get abused) so in 10 years it's still actually worth close to the purchase price or more depending on the item.

If your looking for some cheep stuff to mess around with, EBay does have stuff come up here and there. Another thing is. I bought a 1/10 R/C Bobcat skid steer the other day for $130. Stuff like that might satisfy you in this hobby or help lure you into the more high end stuff.

Hope this helps take care.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
No offence taken Wyatt but look at it this way some spend over $10k for a snowmobile or $20K for a motorcycle or throw money at a hopped up diesel truck they use for a grocery getter. It is all in what hobby you want to spend you money on.

One of the guys I work with and his son went out and bought two new snowmobiles at $15K a piece and we have had no snow this year. Now they have to spend more money to drag them up to Michigan just to get to use them. Now that is a lot of money to spend just to get to ride them for a weekend.

Travis
I completely get what you are saying but at my age (16) it is just a steep mountain to climb while I noticed a good population of the site is of the age where the hobby is easy to maintain and pay for.

@MsMaddie do you have any brand names of vehicles to give me an idea of what to search, I searched ebay and such and get no results from my searches

Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Green Horn

YoungGunz is on a distinguished road

It is hard trying to fund this hobby at a young age, I'm 18 and I am paying for college and i only have a part time job but with whatever leftover money i have i can save for new toys. Its not really possible to fund multiple projects for me so i only do one at a time and sometimes it takes a long time to get what you want finished but if your passionate about it it will get there.

Just like in earlier posts, start off a little smaller so you dont plunge into the hobby and find out its not for you. Buy a truck first and experience building it, and that could easily be done for under 600 bucks. In just about 3 years ive accumulated, 2 trucks, 4 trailers, and a skid steer. It takes alot of work, that's what my summer jobs usually fund but the hobby allows you to step out of reality for a while and enjoy operating the machinery. If you set a goal and you are determined to reach it, you will. I did it a few years ago, so from one young hobbyist to another good luck and hopefully something will fall into place Happy Hunting

J.D.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 AM

Aero 9000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Well, I know you guys all make your custom rigs, but I am looking for some decent construction equipment for a decent price, I saw some on the web for 5 grand and there is no way I could afford something of that price, So do you guys know where I can get some construction equipment for a pretty cheap price. I have such a huge desire to get into this hobby

Thanks
I agree with the other posts Wyatt, the cost of things is all relative, lots of people will spend $200 on a saturday night on alcohol or even more on drugs and look what they get for it.
A good hobby is a must in life. Life will throw all kinds of drama at you from every angle and a interest outside of the other areas of your life eg: work, family, friends, can be a real refuge in tough times.
I might suggest to get something cheap, maybe a Tamiya truck, build it, run it, modify it, tinker with it, use it to get ideas and maybe in time you may construct something yourself or be more cashed up for something more expensive. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Green Horn

mack kid is on a distinguished road

i agree hobbys are subjective. you can have a 20 foot boat but you need water. i like the fact that i just walk into my garage to work on a project when time allows instead of spending all day packing up for god knows were then all day unpacking.

like mentioned above start out with a truck kit and go from there. here is a link to some cheaper stuff. i dont have one but others on this forum do.

http://store.rc4wd.com/112-Scale-Ear...TR_p_1587.html
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Look at doing a bruder conversion, several on this site and scale 4x4. SmallHauls, Scott is one of the skidsteer wizard's. Search the forum and get some idea's, before getting discouraged!
Cheer's, Neil.