RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction General Discussion

Construction General Discussion General questions

Old 04-25-2021, 06:36 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default What kind of dirt...

Ok this is probably a stupid question but I'm planning an outdoor construction site. The ground where it's going is hard clay and doesn't dig easily so I'll need to bring in something.
I considered sand but I wondered about sand in my converted Bruder tracks might be way to abrasive. I thought about stone dust but wondered if it might pack to hard. Of course I could go with topsoil, or a topsoil mix we can get here that is pretty light and drains water really well but doesn't hold together well for digging or trenching...
I thought about a combination of sand and topsoil or sand and the top soil mix...
So what is the consensus of what makes a good RC construction site. My equipment is all Bruder dozers and loaders and Tonka truck and crane conversions, I may get a Huina excavator at some point no plans for hydraulics at this stage of the game
Old 04-26-2021, 03:25 AM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What kind of dirt...

Just top soil is the best way to go. Sand is indeed very abrasive. Look at the videos on YT for The Stonebraeker Area, the indoor parcour in Germany or the channel from Nordbau AG. Lots of videos with digging in top soil and also the equipment of the scale Telestack conveyor belts.

Dry or just slightly moist works best, wet works with none of the materials in scale, you just get to big lumps to work with on scale.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I wonder if some limestone dust mixed in your topsoil would work.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:03 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Trilliwilli, I haven't seen those sites but I have been kind of watching different site for what they were using... On a side note some of you guys have some great looking top soil... lol you could plant anything in it and it would grow....With what you said I think I'll go with the topsoil mix we can get here it's light and I think it will pack firm enough when damp... no sand though..
9W I thought about that, but was afraid I'd end up with weak cement lol... I like the look of the stone dust I can get, it would look pretty close to scale crush-n-run... I might use some of that for roads and such.

Last edited by jerry56; 04-26-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:46 PM

Surge is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that gravel is not a good idea, unless you get really fine pebbles. I ran my tracked vehicle on normal sized gravel, and many pebbles got stuck in the track drive very quickly!