RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:40 PM

tmac is on a distinguished road
Smile Life and things

Hello there, i am at that stage of my life where i need to start choosing what i wanna do after highschool and am curious as to what all of you guys and gals di for a living, if you have an suggestions on what to get into and what to maybe stay clear of. Any information and opinions are much appreciated !
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Life and things

I've been a heavy duty mechanic for over 20 yrs. if your mechanically inclined, mechanics are in demand and you can make good money at it......but then there are the days when I'm laying in the mud under a machine as hydraulic oil is running down my arm changing a hose or it's 40 below and everything is breaking down and while the operators are sitting in the lunchroom , your the only one working in that insane weather..... God I love my job

Mario
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

i have been trucking most of my life ..it has its good days and some bad ones ,trying to get home and you get a blowout in the middle of now where and have to wait 2 hrs or more for a tire guy or a breakdown in the middle of nowhere in the deep freeze canadian winter and you sit with no heat until help arrives. my dad told me son truckin is not a 9-5 job ,if you can get past that then half of the battle is won what i am trying to say is i have an education to be an architect but chose to be a trucker over pushing a pencil i love the job and because of that its not work to me like the saying "find something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life"if you are young enough to try different things go for it you will know when you are at the job where you want to be...i know i am
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 PM

supermario- i have been looking into being a heavy machinery mechanic because i love working on cars and or vehicles, i found that out when me and my dad started on a project and now it turned into my truck (1988 k1500).

1985 kenworth-that is one thing my dad said to me just the other night also and i think you should do what you like to do also.

my father is a licenced mechanic and is a fire fighter, both jobs fascinate me ecspecially the fire fighter part. ive always been proud to say "yea thats my dad the fireman" and what im kinda kinda getting at is i wanted to follow in his foot steps and get my red seal for mechanic and then once i get a bit of life experience apply for the local department but i have also been considering a police officer. and today i switched a class and now am enrolled in a law class.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

Well i have been a Heavy Equipment mechanic and can also remember working under excavators in the mud or changing air brakes on trucks or my favorite changing attachments in 40 degree weather but what ever you decide to do let it be something you love to do and can be good at
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

funny you mention about your dads footsteps thats exactly where i went with the trucker thing much to the dismay of my mom but in the end she said whatever makes you happy
Old 10-13-2012, 01:17 AM

CG Bob is on a distinguished road

I enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard after I finished high school, and spent 27 years in the service. The USCG trained me as a Damage Controlman, which included many different trades - carpenter, mason, plumber/pipefitter, welder, fire fighter, small engine mechanic (for portable pumps). Served three tours at sea in the engine room, the last two qualified as Engineering Watch Officer - roughly equivilant to 2nd or 3rd Asslstant Engineer in the Merchant Marine. Most of my time was spent ashore repairing or supervising the repair of of boats, engines, and buildings. I retired as a Chief Warrant Officer. Since I retired, I now work part time at the local hobby shop.

Best advice is to find something you like and go for it. Don't be afraid to try new things if you're interest changes.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

I have always loved cars in general and started out in high school working on the aftermarket side building/tuning mainly import cars and engines and installing accessories etc. I continued this as a hobby while I worked for Honda for 9 years and now I'm back in the aftermarket side running a shop that designs and manufactures high performance parts. It's a circle that I somehow stayed in and I'm glad I did.

I never wanted to give up my dreams of running my own shop and building cars, and now I help in designing the parts and I do all the R&D for the shop testing and installing the products and working with all of our consumers with tech support. I may not be the owner yet but I'm very happy where I'm at and one day ill be at the top of the chain and won't regret how I got there.

I can agree that a day worked, when its a job you enjoy, is a day that didn't involve work at all. I'm glad I continued to work at what I enjoyed and took chances that not everyone would because of life, and I know I would not be where I am at today if I didn't.

Find and follow something you enjoy and stick with it. You will hit bumps in the road and find times where it will be hard to continue down that path but if you truly want it you will find a way to make it work.

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Another mechanic here. I just like working with my hands! The pay is good and I like going home with dirt under my nails. That's what this country needs. People with more dirt under their finger nails, and cleaner minds.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Same here, i love working with my hands and being active. Heck now that you mention it i still have a little bit of dirt and grease under my nails !