RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wedico???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
Lil Giants lives!!!

I'm really surprised that both company heads don't want their trucks to be modified. Well, Mr. Wedico I can see, but Mr. Tamiya?! Tamiya trucks are so easy to modify, it's impossible not to!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Lynn, nobody wants to pay almost $4000 for an RC that isn't absolutely perfect. Hopefully Nate can help you out, I know he could machine every piece of that truck for you!
i'm with you, most tamiya stuff is way to easy to mod. but it make since, if you look at there esc's and electronics, they tend to only work on the sivler can 540 motor, anything much more burn them out. you see that all through tamiya's r/c line up from there truck down to there r/c cars.

also this is a timely thread. i was thinking of getting a wedico from a guy at my lhs but after following this thread i think i'd stay away. the one thing that will turn off any model company for me is being hard to work on and not being able to just turn on and drive, i hate having to work on the model before and after a drive or playtime.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

I have built just one Wedico Trailer. Tedious abd no suspension. Almost all of the screws are the smaller ones of the Tamiya kits. All use nuts not threaded holes. But they were all stainless screws. Lots of hemostat work - both hands.

As for my loader - with some advice from other builders before I started was to pre check all fit and function of all parts as I went. many holes for flat head scres needed to be chamfered deeper. Some things the hole patterns were a bit off. Several instances of the guiderails (threaded 1.5mm rods that are bent) had poor threads.

Instructions were are hard to follow - and there mere many lengths of screws - I had to use calipers to sort them before I started.

I have heard it said that Euro builders aproach a kit with a perspective that - the kit is a basis to build a model - treating even a standard kit as though it is a custom one off. And that the opinion of the american builder is that - even a one off custom kit should build as easy or easier than a kit that is produced in the thousands.

- I do like Wedico kits (no personal experience with trucks) - they have lots of detail - For the high end collector who treats them as delicate machines - I think it still works in the grand scheme. But this doesn't excuse kits that strugle with the most common of build and assembly issues.

Izzy
Old 07-12-2013, 04:31 PM

Tp_hofmann is on a distinguished road

Dear all

Adding some personal experiences to the discussion, having built tamiya, wedico and scaleart kits all of them have their pros and cons.

What i appreciate on wedico is their concept to start small and extend their trucks. Having built several wedico trucks, i appreciate their cabins and still when i was young i always fancied the cat 966, i still have one and the looks are still great.

The plus on wedico is the amount of aftermarket suppliers: several german manufacturers are well known - examples are leimbach, rust, osswald (now premacon).

Again tamiya,wedico and scaleart all have their pros and cons and everybody can decided which direction to follow.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tp_hofmann View Post
Dear all

Adding some personal experiences to the discussion, having built tamiya, wedico and scaleart kits all of them have their pros and cons.

What i appreciate on wedico is their concept to start small and extend their trucks. Having built several wedico trucks, i appreciate their cabins and still when i was young i always fancied the cat 966, i still have one and the looks are still great.

The plus on wedico is the amount of aftermarket suppliers: several german manufacturers are well known - examples are leimbach, rust, osswald (now premacon).

Again tamiya,wedico and scaleart all have their pros and cons and everybody can decided which direction to follow.

Cheers,
Tom
so my question is what is the better truck? i know in the race world people tend to not like tamiya's, me i have built tons of tamiya's and for the most part there stuff is right on there is a few car's i owned by them that well... sucked (f-201 tb-02 ff-02) but they all had there charm. my only thing with tamiya trucks are the odd scaling for 1/14-1/15 and the floppy front end.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road

I personally prefer the Tamiya trucks & Trailers. The styrene bodies are easy to customize and the kit comes almost RTR.
With a simple ESC & a transmitter set, you can have one up and going in no time.

As Tom stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tp_hofmann View Post
(They) all have their pros and cons..."
The after-market items used for Wedico, Robbe, and the few others that have been manufactured over the years can be modified for use on a Tamiya build with little or no trouble.

Just my opinion

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 AM

Tp_hofmann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth34677 View Post
so my question is what is the better truck? i know in the race world people tend to not like tamiya's, me i have built tons of tamiya's and for the most part there stuff is right on there is a few car's i owned by them that well... sucked (f-201 tb-02 ff-02) but they all had there charm. my only thing with tamiya trucks are the odd scaling for 1/14-1/15 and the floppy front end.
Well-i still think everybody has to decide or him/herself on the personal preference. In my club, we have mixed wedico, tamiya & scaleart and despite the sliggt scale difference we have lots of fun playing all together.

In addition: i have seen trucks based on "bruder cabs" or tamiya, which have been amazing!

My main priority is the building of a truck: saving the $/€, acuqiring the parts and building models for use (i focus on construction type of trucks) - my majority of trucks rely on wedico cabs and chassis, axles are from rust/scaleart, suspension from osswald/premacon, gearboxes are from wedico/veroma/scaleart being complemented by wedico/servonaut/scaleart/leimbach additions - so i like bilding best of breed :-)

I have seen the last tamiya actros and price/performance is simply amazing (compare the whole kit just with a scaleart gearbox...)

Some of us enjoy building kit models, others prefer custom builts - its a hobby, so we should accept different preferences and styles.

Last comment regardi g wedico: they clearly created this hobby, but today it is not sufficient to live from the brand and innovate, otherwise you are easily surpussed by the competitiors

Br,
Tom
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Well said Tom. Especially the very last comment in your post. One should never rest on their laurels, and that goes for the model builders themselves. Today you can build any type of truck, and make it whatever you want, depending on your skill level. We've progressed to the point in this hobby that you don't need to start a project with a complete kit. One can simply build a truck using nothing but aftermarket parts for the chassis, suspension, axles, and transmission. Pick what you like, and leave out what you don't. Take the best of everything offered, stock or aftermarket. All manufactures have their strengths and weaknesses. To say one is better then the rest is relative to the person that says so.