RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road
Question Wedico???

After putting together various Tamiya RC vehicles, I have recently purchased a few Wedico trucks and 1 trailer kit. The trucks are assembled while the trailer is not. Are all of the Wedico kits as big of a pain in the a** as this trailer is? I remember hearing that the boss at Wedico complained about the US purchasers were some of the worse builders he had ever seen. No one reads instructions was his words. Unless I got a very old kit, I can see why. Instructions all in GERMAN!!! Even when assembling by the 1 picture and carefully watching for sizes listed for the nuts and bolts. Some of the parts do not fit and others were shone backwards to how the needed to be assembled. I had been thinking of trying to obtain some more Wedico vehicles in the future but not now. I will stick to the tried and true Tamiya for trucks.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wedico???

well i got a friend that has one, cool truck but he's alway working on it. and he says it like to break stuff at the dumpest times.

ya and we are pains just because we like our stuff work and fit right? lol
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

Lynn I have had the same problem....I found instructions in English and it helped a lot
I got mine off the internet some time back...now if I buy wedico I buy them together..

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE
Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Lynn, I'm thinking you've got a really old kit in your hands. Everything new from Wedico today now has instructions in German and English, but I'll agree with you that these models are still a pain to build. Problem is Wedico uses 2mm screws and nuts for assembling almost all of the model's components. Almost everything is bolted together. There aren't many parts with tapped holes. Worse still is the fact that the pro chassis kits use cross members that don't have enough room to get your fingers inside of, so holding a nut, while trying to get the screw through the holes is a test of patience! These models are something you don't want to have to disassemble for maintenance, if you can help it. That's why I ditched all the stock cross members and started machining my own. I drilled and tapped every hole and now assembly is a breeze.

As far as the comments about us American's being the worst model builders, all I can say is Wedico isn't all that popular in it's own country, and I'm sure German modelers have the same complaints that we do. I heard from some Americans who have met Mr. Wedico in person that he doesn't much care for the way we modify the models he manufactures. Maybe if he designed them better from the start, he wouldn't have complaints about that!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

thats why they make these
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dyw1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Wedico???

I don't know much about Wedico, I only use the Tamiya trucks and Trailers for my personal use. I can tell you that I have met Mr. Tamiya and he's anything but happy about the modifications we make to 'his' replicas. He believes in keeping his products "box-stock".

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Wow. I was planning on bringing my Wedico truck n trailer to Indy this year and put a for sale sign on the hood but after reading comments, I might be stuck with it?
I never had to assemble, my beef is the scale size vs a Tamiya . Just don't fit the rest of the fleet and the fact I can't interchange trailers with it. It's a good looking truck n trailer combo I hope I can sell

Mario
Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Journeyman

Smile Re: Wedico???

You'll probably sell it. A lot of the folks use Wedico and the issue of interchanging trailers can be overcome by changing the 5th-wheel plate for the Tamiya 5th-wheel.

Ric Muphy of PMD can get whatever you need to fix your Wedico and Tamiya trucks just go to http://www.gardentrucking.com

- RCT

p.s. I'm not out to "slight" anyone. There are several great manufactures and sellers on our forum and I respect all of you. Thank you all for your efforts.

Last edited by Radio Control Trucker; 07-05-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Apology
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Hey now, how come we Wedico modelers have to switch our king pins for Tamiya ones, to be universal? Ha ha. Why don't you Tamiya guys switch to the Wedico king pins!

Honestly, the scale does not bother me one bit. Some of the draw to the Wedico trucks, for me, was that they better match the die-cast Ertl models, giving us some great scale loads to choose from! Scale Art models are also a bit closer in size to Wedico, then they are to Tamiya also. Not that it matters much! I like both Tamiya and Wedico models, but like Lynn says, I'd much rather assemble a Tamiya! Box stock, they are more user friendly.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Re: Wedico???

Nate, it doesn't bother me if you operate Wedico or Tamiya equipment.
I was just offering a suggestion to Mario to help ease his mind about pulling Tamiya trailers with a Wedico tractor.

You operate Wedico and I operate Tamiya, we both get along really well do to the fact we both love tractor-trailers and have a passion for our shared hobby. It is our differences, as well as our similarities that help make this forum strong. And not just you and me, but everyone of the nearly 2,000 members we share our thoughts and ideas with every day or two, and the many more that are guests to our forum every month.

Man, I love my hobby. Without my trucks and the people on this forum, my life would feel like a hollow shell. Thank you all for participating in the Threads each week and Posting your thoughts every day, if we aren't having FUN we aren't doing right.

- RCT

Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

No worries RCT. I was grinning the whole time I took a stab at your suggestion of switching to Tamiya king pins. It's all in fun. That's what this hobby is about.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I feel your pain Lynn. Essentially I built my Junk 740 & 966 3 times over during initial assembly because the instructions & fitment sequence of parts are so poor! And then when it came to making repairs... $%^&*())(*&^%#@##@@$%^&*(*(()!!!!! You gotta take it apart in the same sequence again to get to the failed part in the chain.

Joe
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

You guys were talking about switching out the king pins to make the trailers more of a universal fit. My ?? for you is: what does a Wedico king pin look like? The king pin that came with my trailer is a joke!! It would not fit in any fifth wheel plate that I know of Besides that the fifth wheel plate keeps breaking every time I get it fixed, it lasts about 3 trips and the spring come unhooked again Would not be too bad but the fifth wheel plate is buried in the deck plate making it a pain to remove to fix. Going to make some changes to both the fifth wheel plate and the rear deck for easier to repair in the future.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

No idea what the Wedico king pin looks like. I haven't built a trailer yet. I assumed the only real difference is the diameter of the pin. What Wedico 5th wheel does your truck have, Lynn? The older, cheaper, standard one, or the professional one?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

The truck was originally built in 2001 for the Toy Trucker magazine as a fund raising project. As I am no authority on Wedico, I have no idea which fifth wheel plate it has. I am going to make a king pin to fit but this is just 1 more reason to not buy another Wedico product for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Do you have any pictures of the truck?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I feel your pain Lynn. Essentially I built my Junk 740 & 966 3 times over during initial assembly because the instructions & fitment sequence of parts are so poor! And then when it came to making repairs... $%^&*())(*&^%#@##@@$%^&*(*(()!!!!! You gotta take it apart in the same sequence again to get to the failed part in the chain.
Lil Giants lives!!!

I'm really surprised that both company heads don't want their trucks to be modified. Well, Mr. Wedico I can see, but Mr. Tamiya?! Tamiya trucks are so easy to modify, it's impossible not to!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Lynn, nobody wants to pay almost $4000 for an RC that isn't absolutely perfect. Hopefully Nate can help you out, I know he could machine every piece of that truck for you!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I think Lynn is a far greater machinist then I am, but thanks Bigrigger! Lynn just doesn't show off a lot of what he can do to the public, but you can see some really nice parts of his on other guys' trucks.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks to you too, Nathan. Your machining has come a large way in a very short time. I have right at 27 years in the game this week. I will take some pics of the truck and post tomorrow. Time to try and get some sleep. If you have any old copies of 'The Toy Trucker and Contractor', look for the April 2001 issue. The truck is on the cover.

Bigrigger, If I had paid $4000 for this truck, I would not be asking questions. I would be demanding satisfaction from someone .
Old 07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Lynn. I don't know if I'll ever become one of the greats on this forum, but I'll keep at it.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing the truck you picked up. Maybe it was on E-Bay that I saw it?? I want to say you also posted picture here, but I can't remember. Being one of the Wedico guys who has gone through the process of trying to build a nice truck, I can honestly say I'm not as impressed as I used to be with these models, yet I still like the Peterbilts and will continue to work on mine. I've learned a lot of hard lessons building mine, and if I knew what I know today. I surely would have done things different. I'd probably still be down the same path, but I would have spent my money much differently. I bought a lot components for my Wedico Peterbilt that ended up being wasted money.