RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road
Default ADT Project

I finally started one of my projects, an ADT based loosely on a Cat 350D. I am using 34 rpm / 139 oz-in gear motors from Robotshop and RC4wd MilSpec 2.2 tires.

I decided to make my own rims and hubs (using 2.5 and 1.25 inch aluminum round rod). The motors are longer than I thought so I had to make the rims offset. After much thought, I came up with a plan using a hub with set screw with the main rim bolted to the hub with ten 2-56 stainless hex bolts.

I had a little disagreement with a $20 2-56 drill bit - it wanted to stay in the hub and broke itself off to achieve this wish. I wasn't very happy but rather than go to the effort to get it out, I left one hole as a blank,

This is basically my proof of concept hub/rim and I need to make 5-6 more. Unfortunately, it could be a long time before I get back on this because I have real work to do.

Here are some slef-explanatory photos:

I have never used a lathe before and had no idea what I was doing. It isn't real pretty but it will work.

By the way, the lathe is for sale or trade in the buy and sell section (because I want a larger one to be able to work quicker).

Richard